[Year 12 IPM] AV software recommendations??

Roland Gesthuizen rgesthuizen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 8 13:13:00 EST 2006

Sad thing (not widely advertised fact) is that resources uploaded are stored
in their proprietary format, DRM by the back door. Dont get me wrong, I
fully understand the reason for this is to copy protect their main video
library collection. I am less certain why it is imposed the format and left
out an export path for copyright free school videos such as our student
productions etc. My suggestions of mp4 exports that can play on iPods, Linux
desktop client etc were politely ignored. There are competitor products out
there that provide these (enough plugs, you can do your own detective work
to dig these up)

Our eagle eye librarian picked this up and now keeps a DVD backup copy of
any school videos and content that we own. Earlier this year, I met some
hobby enthusiasts at a local community radio station who did themselves from
'off the shelf' components. I might explore some options with my students
for creating our own media and podcast server to better serve our long term
needs that we can use in addition to a one click video collection (what you
are really buying with their product is a video library with an option to
add content.)

I must add that I quickly discovered the reasons in the mid 1990's why I
stopped regularly nailing my students to a chair for a full period to watch
a video. Letting them shuffle the play and stop buttons on a computer or
take it home spreads out the torture. Teasing them with appropriate 5-10
min snippets in a lesson with interruptions to think and reflect is more
interactive and fun but of course, represents more work for teachers. :-)

Regards Roland

http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au