[Year 12 IPM] Another off-topic query

Roland Gesthuizen rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Sep 15 12:01:23 EST 2005

The HumanEdge A+ has both an Internet web and PC based software clients
to enter absence data or generate reports. Staff can use their wireless
notebooks but the instant start feature of a PDA was attractive. The
PDA's that we use are wireless so the data is dynamically changed, we
have 50 of these units so duty students can get back to class. At any
stage we should know exactly where the students are. For us it was
important that it mesh into our current timetable, blocking, absence
system. The thing I learned about the implementation of this system was
the value of a stepwise implementation and consulting all the
stakeholders. Better tracking is nice but it cannot replace the more
important system that follows up and responds to truancy and attendance
issues.

I think it is very healthy that there are a couple of good, robust
systems around to manage timetables. This healthy competition should
work to serve our needs and keep prices down. It is also good for
Victoria that these cottage industries now export their software
solutions interstate. In all honesty, it isnt so much a task to spot
what is best or most popular as what would better suit the needs of your
school today. Good luck with your research Diane :-)

Regards Roland

Meadows, Roslyn M wrote:

>Hi Diane,
>We used Palm Pilots from 2000 - 2004.  The system was easy to use except we had to hot sync at recess (so the daily absences were known), and then again after school. We also had interim reports set up for end of term 1 and term 3 (very basic - Attitude, Conduct, Classwork, Homework, Progress - choose from Excellent, Very Good, etc). Staff members have access to other class lists for extras etc.
>
>The initial set up costs were high, batteries would run out and need replacing, Palm Pilots would be lost, CRT's did not have access to Palm Pilot and had to borrow one from another staff member, after marking the roll on paper. I still kept a paper based roll in my chronicle.
>
>Now we have moved to a computer based roll system called Roll Call. This is a fantastic system from my point of view as I am near a computer all day, other staff members must use their laptops (wireless), or get to a computer to do the roll (which must be done by the end of recess for Period 1 and 2, then at the end of the day for Periods 4 - 6.. Roll Call also offers more functionality than the Plam Pilots as I can print a report of absences by class, by student etc, and it also allows us to do progress reports. I no longer keep a paper based roll, being able to find all information on Roll Call. Staff members have access to other class lists if they have an extra.
>
>Overall I would give the thumbs up to the computer network Roll Call system. I am quite happy to not have to worry about where my Palm Pilot is all the time.
>
>Hope this helps. Have a wonderful break everyone
>
>Ros Meadows
>Bentleigh SC
>9579 1044
>meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au
>
>"Furious activity is no substitute for understanding." H. H. Williams

Roland Gesthuizen - eLearning Coordinator - Westall Secondary College
http://www.westallsc.vic.edu.au