[Year 12 IPM] [OT] Privcay Issues

Allan Barnes abarnes at aiet.com.au
Thu Oct 27 12:26:18 EST 2005

Hi everyone

Hoping not to open a can of worms, but I am writing a unit of work about
privacy and confidentiality in schools, and came across a Victorian school
web site that says that the school is not bound by National Privacy
Principals (which basically comes from the Privacy Act which was amended in
2000), and it also states that the school places photos and images of
students on its web site, and will only remove them if it receives a letter
from the parent. My understanding is that it is supposed to be the other way
around i.e. you have to get permission from the student BEFORE the photo
goes up on the web site.

Interested in hearing what occurs in other schools .... either back to the
list or direct to my email depending on whether people think this is too
off-topic.

Kind regards

Allan Barnes, CEO
Australian Institute of Education and Training
Phone: (03) 9387 2051
FAX:    (03) 9387 3470
Mobile: 0409 428 221
E-mail: abarnes at aiet.com.au