[Year 12 IPM] Redundancy

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 12 13:29:23 EST 2005

Data redundancy (DR) can be good and bad.

When bad, it wastes storage space or blows out the size of a data
structure with no benefit (e.g. as previously mentioned, the same data
stored in 2 tables in a database).  I suppose DR can even mean the same
data stored in multiple copies of the same file.  Database normalization
can help fix DR.

On the positive side, DR can be good.  Backups are classic examples of
DR.  Backup servers or backup data hosts which take over in case the
primary host fails) are DR.  RAID's mirroring is DR.

Dunno if that helps anyone  :-o

Andrew Sutton wrote:
> Doesn't it also have to do with two fields in the one table that are
> essentially giving you the same information? For example, In a table, You
> shouldn't need the Age field if you have an accurate D.O.B. field.

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com