[Year 12 IPM] Formats and Conventions (VITTA Exam 1 2005)

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Wed Oct 5 13:06:22 EST 2005

tbolte at mercycollege.melb.catholic.edu.au wrote:
> Hello All,
> Has anyone used the VITTA 2005 exam 1?
> I have a query about the question (or any exam question) where formats and conventions are mentioned.  They show a gas bill and ask the students to name 2 formats and 2 conventions.  I would have given the fact that inclusion of the ABN and GST info is a convention and the use of dollar signs for cash and bold for subtitles as a format.
> Is this right?
> Is the fact that we put cash amounts left aligned a format or a convention?
> Cheers
> Trent Bolte
> Mercy College

A format is a way of presenting data e.g. tabular, in paragraphs,
graphical.  In this question the answer would be "A table and a graph"

A convention is a thing that is usually done e.g. dollar signs for
currency, right-justification of numbers in columns, bigger & bold
headings, page numbers in multi-page documents.
In this question, you could refer to justification of numbers, the
formatting of the address, bold heading, the provision of a contact
phone number etc etc.

Of course the suggested solution does not help much... I think it
escaped editing unscathed  :-)

"Question 12

Mandatory conventions include: ABN, GST information, the account number
(obscured in the picture), and the name and address of the person or
business issuing the tax invoice.

Optional or preferred (*optional/preferred what? – conventions? Formats?
Has the ‘format’ angle been covered in this solution?)include the use of
currency, daily use graph, invoice date, due date and any other
numerical format(??)relevant to the information displayed on the bill."

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com