[Year 12 IPM] Cranking out a cheaper laptop

Roland Gesthuizen rge at westallsc.vic.edu.au
Sat Oct 1 22:56:22 EST 2005

A sub-$100 laptop computer has been unveiled by MIT. The housing is
protected by a tough rubber exterior and the AC adapter doubles as a
carry strap. It can even be hand cranked to generate its own power! The
operating system is Linux and Google <http://www.google.com/> is
throwing its weight behind the project with some thin client software.
Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney is planning to start buying these for
all 500,000 middle and high school pupils in the state.

Imagine if every child in your school had one. Just imagine if we could
give them away to children in third world countries.
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4292854.stm> The design process
alone is worth asking students to work through before they see the model
developed. "Design a suitable laptop for a child in our sister school in
Cambodia. What hardware and software specifications would you work towards."

    windup radiohttp://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4292854.stm

This novel technology solution has many similar parallels to the
development of a clockwork radio. I used a video about this 10 years ago
to illustrate the "technology cycle".

    http://www.enginuity.org.uk/enginuity/frame.htm