[Year 12 IPM] OT - Printing Policy

Robert Timmer-Arends timmer at melbpc.org.au
Tue May 31 17:31:13 EST 2005

Hello Mark

Your policy looks good.

We have been using a similar product (PaperCut). The only concern we have is
one that you have covered in your policy (as we have), but we have found
hard to police, namely one student using another's account to print from -
this results in the legitimate user suddenly being unable to print. We have
basically pushed the line that this is yet another reason for keeping their
password to themselves (in other words 'stiff bikkies kid'). We have also
made some policy changes in Windows XP that make this more difficult to do.

A second 'concern' is just nuisance value and lasts for as long as it takes
the teacher and/or student to cotton on: if your account is empty and you
print, PaperCut doesn't tell you that you have no funds left. The desktop
appears to print but nothing comes out, so at first it seems that something
is broke! Many grumbles later one suddenly thinks to check the student's
print balance....

Regards
Robert T-A
Brighton SC