[Year 12 IPM] Re: OT Kahootz, 7-10 IT and Has VELS got it WRONG?

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 28 20:47:19 EST 2005

Ok Robert - you have virtually started a new thread here, and a
critically important one in my humble opinion.
**In fact this MAY be the lodestone we have been looking for** and which
is 'sort of referred to' in the VELS when they talk about using ICT to
teach thinking and so on.
But I think that Robert has established a TARGET for us all to work
towards.
I have a proposal for all ICT teachers - a most worthwhile challenge
that might just be the pathway to our survival, that we can team up on.
HERE IT IS:
Let us all contribute one or two scenarios from our own direct or
indirect (but verified) experience of specific software, hardware,
procedures etc being used to add significant genuine educational value
to a specific learning experience, so that because ICT was used the kids
have LEARNT it far better (they know it, can apply it, can re-use it in
another context, can use it to construct new realities etc) than if the
ICT was not used.
My strong suggestion is that each quoted scenario should be quite
specific so that we, the readers, can empathesize with what actually
happened. This could be concluded with a moral "What I have learnt from
this as an ICT teacher."
OK folks - let's slay them in the isles. Lets do something that will
lift the rafters. Let us bring out into the sunlight those hidden gems
of purest ray serene...
Just a hopeful thought anyway. If it dies, it was not meant to be. If it
prospers, wow, we are onto something grand.
Ciao for now. Keith