[Year 12 IPM] Re: OT Kahootz and 7-10 IT

fiona at balmoralhs.vic.edu.au fiona at balmoralhs.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 22 13:40:49 EST 2005

Dear Greg

Our region has ran several pd's on Kahootz including some mentoring sessions for the students.  They have gone back and, in their own time, have shown other students the basics.  Now the students ask, when they have free time, if they may use Kahootz. I incorporated it into a multi-intelligence grid for a year 7 S.O.S.E. class with some interesting results. What suprised me is how much the older kids have enjoyed using the programme.  My year 11's were using it to highlight the IPLC and a few other things.   What they are really looking forward to is when Kahootz becomes completely complatible with the other macromedia software, in particular, flash.

I am not going to be here next term but it was my intention to incorporate some Kahootz lessons into year 7 I.T and then get them to create animated books for their French (I teach both).  I would go ahead and teach the skills to the students - and yes, I do think this would need to be done during and I.T session and then tell the other teachers what the program is capable of. Hope this helps

Fiona Bain
Balmoral High School
"Greg Bowden" <bowden.gregory.l at edumail.vic.gov.au> on Wed, 22 Jun 2005 12:15:30 +1000 wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> Further the discussion a couple of weeks ago about the structure of IT
> in the 7-10 curriculum.  I’m wondering what schools are doing with
> Kahootz.  It seems to me to be a program that lends itself to being
> taught in a stand alone IT class then used by other KLAs once students
> know how to use it properly.  I can’t see KLAs at my school providing
> much class time for the learning of Kahootz.   I’ve just started
> teaching Kahootz to a year 8 IT class and I am hoping at the end of the
> unit one of the other teachers of the class will set a project using
> Kahootz.
>
> I must confess to also having a personal interest in Kahootz.  I’ve
> developed a teaching unit for it and I am trying to decide whether it
> is worth the time and effort to send a flyer to schools (not much use
> if not many schools have started to use it).  So any feedback on your
> opinions of Kahootz and its use would be helpful (e-mail me off the
> list if you prefer).  If you would like to have a look at some sample
> pages of the Kahootz unit they can be viewed at www.gct.com.au - then
> follow the Kahootz link.
>
> Greg Bowden
> ICT Manager
> North Geelong SC
>

> Important -
> This email and any attachments may be confidential. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments check them for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence, whether caused by the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from the use of any attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. Any representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of the Department of Education & Training.

---
fiona at balmoralhs.vic.edu.au
http://www.balmoralhs.vic.edu.au/