[Year 12 IPM] OT - Printing Policy

Shortell, Andrew a.shortell at macrob.vic.edu.au
Wed Jun 1 12:24:56 EST 2005

Hi All
Having used both GAIA and papercut
it is easier to set up the web interface so that students check their
own credit as frequently as they want

With papercut, because it has a common pool of money for both internet
and printing students tend to notice very quickly when they run out of
credit.

papercut allows you to print off "recharge cards" that the finance
people can sell to students so that the finance people have to record
nothing at all - just take money. The students type in the 20 digit
number. The cards can also be set to expire if you wish.

Papercut also allows students to transfer any amount of their own credit
to any other user - so they can "loan " credit to their friends

Thus it becomes imperative to force password changes so that even if
they "share" their password they then have to "reshare" it every 60 or
90 days. The force password change really emphasises the security aspect
of IT to even the non IT students and is easily justified. Of course
there will always be a few students who forget the new password and have
to provide ID to have it reset. At MacRob we also insisted on ID before
we unlocked a student's account -reasoning that only the student should
even know that it was locked......

I think there was a setting in GAIA that could be set to show when a job
was refused (lack of credit or job too big) but I am not certain.

Andrew Shortell
now at
Braemar College

This email and any attachments may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender
immediately via reply email and destroy all copies of the original message
including any attachments.
The Mac.Robertson Girls’ High School does not warrant this message to be
free of errors, viruses, interceptions or interference. No responsibility
is taken for messages that do not arrive, arrive late or contain missing or
incomplete attachments.
Any views, policies or opinions expressed in this email are those of the
sender, and do not necessarily represent those of The Mac.Robertson Girls’
High School.