[Year 12 IPM] VELS and ICT *An Attempt to Model an Ideal WorkingRelationship

Philip Brown BROWN-PH at oxley.vic.edu.au
Fri Jul 29 10:23:12 EST 2005

When I read it back to myself I felt it came across as a bit negative. I
don't don't see the situation in this way because I get excited by the
way ICT can change the way we deliver curriculum. I just want to see the
situation as realistically as possible.

Phil Brown

>>> keithcr at fastmail.fm 29/7/2005 10:07:50 am >>>

An excellent summary thanks Phil. Rather daunting checklist, isn't it
-
almost makes one long for retirement - but at least it does help to
target what needs to be 'fixed'.
If one were to follow an 'all-or-nothing-will-do' approach, this list
demonstrated the complex interrelationships between identifiable
factors
that need to be taken into account when planning one's strategy for
the
coming battle.
Regards, Keith

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:43:37 +1000, "Philip Brown"
<BROWN-PH at oxley.vic.edu.au> said:
> Hi Keith and others,
>
> Continuing on with the discussion of ICT and VELS ("The Standards")
There
> is an interesting paper by Allison Elliot who delivered a paper at
the
> Australian School Library Association XIX Biennial Conference - April
10
> -13, 2005
>
> Amongst other things, she sees structural barriers which are
preventing
> the uptake of ICT in schools. These are:
>
> Limited classroom space Lack of computers and/or internet in
classrooms;
> old computersUnreliability of the technologyLack of leadership and
> support from principalsLack of institutional support and
> encouragementPoor technology infrastructureClass time tabling
> difficulties. Short lessonsPoor teacher attitudes toward
technologyLack
> of teacher confidenceConflicting information on the value of ICTs in
> learningClassroom management difficultiesDifficulty adjusting to new
> pedagogiesLack of professional development or inappropriate PDLack
of
> time for planning and preparationLack of involvement in computer
room
> and/or classroom layout/planning
> To counter these barriers Elliot maintains that "several main
enablers
> are considered necessary for
> ICTs in authentic ways across the curriculum. Assuming the technology
is
> in place, teachers
> must:
> 1. "*(B)elieve that technology can more effectively achieve and
maintain
> higher-level goal than what has been used".
> 2. "*(B)elieve that using technology will not cause disturbances to
> level goals that * are more important that the ones being
maintained".
> 3. "*(B)elieve that he or she has or will have the ability and
resources
> the technology"
> 4. Have the commitment and support from others and leadership
> supervisory and administrative personnel
> 5. Feel confident and competent with ICT pedagogies, not just with
> personal computing skills.
>
> The whole paper is a good read and may help to keep some perspective
on
> the issues.
>
> Phil Brown
> Oxley College