[Year 12 IPM] Draft study design feedback: Glossary nitpicks

Mark Kelly kel at mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Jul 28 15:20:17 EST 2005

"algorithm":

1.  The spelling - "Nassi-Shneiderman" should be "Nassi-Schneiderman".

2.  The definition - "Method of representing the processing, or control
structures, required in a software solution. Common methods are
pseudocode, Nassi-Shneiderman (N-S) diagrams, flow charts,
Input–Process–Output (IPO) charts."

I don't like the second sentence in the definition.  It makes it sound
like flowcharts and IPO charts ARE algorithms, whereas they are merely
methods of displaying algorithms.

An algorithm is a set of well-defined rules for the solution of a problem.

It is not the same as the method of REPRESENTING the solution.

It's a bit like saying a sketch, model, painting or photograph of an
apple IS the apple.  They're not... they're just ways of showing the apple.

[Yeah, I know it's a fiddly distinction, but it's important to me. You
can tell I don't get out a lot  :-) ]

--------------------------

"capability":  "How well a piece of hardware or software can perform its
function(s); for example, a modem may transmit data at 33bps; a digital
camera may capture images with 1200 x 800 pixel resolution."

1.  This infamous 33bps modem is a major booboo carried over from the
previous study design.  Perhaps they mean "33Kbps"?  Sheesh!

2.  Rather than just measuring how well a function can be done, I
thought it was obvious that a capability would include which functions
can be done at all  e.g. a capability of camera A is that it can record
movies whereas camera B cannot.

--------------------------

"data representation methods - Ways of showing how data is converted
into patterns of ones and zeroes by input devices to enable processing.
Data is represented using a binary numbering system and ASCII."

Huh?  Isn't this backwards?  Isn't it how data is converted from ones
and zeroes and presented to the user e.g. as ASCII, octal digits, graphs
etc?

--------------------------

"design" - "(1)	Identify the components (people, procedures, data,
equipment) required for a new information system, converting the logical
design of the information system into a physical design, designing test
specifications for the system"

Surely design is more than just identifying the components.  It also
DESCRIBES their interrelationships (how they interconnect and exchange
data, for example) and qualities.  e.g. designing a heading is more than
identifying that a heading is required.  You also describe its size,
typeface, colour etc etc.

--------------------------

"function" - "the tasks..."
Function is singular, so the definition should be singular too ("a task...")

--------------------------

"network topologies" - bus and star are mentioned, but doesn't "tree"
deserve a guernsey by now?  It's the most common REAL topology in use.

--------------------------

"physical design" includes: "Tools to represent the physical design
include a system flow charts and structure charts."

1.  "a system flow charts" ???

2.  I would have thought a blueprint, CAD/CAM 3D modelling software, a
floorplan, a physical model, or prototype might be better examples.

--------------------------

Ah! Just noticed the glossary defines the accepted steps for problem
solving.  Thought it would have appeared in key knowledge too!

Nits picked.  Bye.

Manager - Information Systems
McKinnon Secondary College
McKinnon Rd McKinnon 3204, Victoria Australia
Phone +613 95780844  Fax +613 95789253
http://www.mckinnonsc.vic.edu.au
IPM Lecture notes: http://vceit.com
Moderator: IPM Mailing List