[Year 12 IPM] time allocated for U4O1

Keith Richardson keithcr at fastmail.fm
Thu Jul 21 08:43:11 EST 2005

Hi Sam.
For the actual U4O1 SAC, I give mine 12 periods (40 minutes), plus an
orientation period at the start. During that one we read through the
scenario together, and discuss as a group what it is really all about. I
do this because I do not want any of my students missing out on the
opportunity to demonstrate in the sac, understandings and skills they do
possess just because they misunderstood the scenario.
I also allow them to provide me with, on the day before the start, their
chapter summaries, hard copy of their practice U4O1 sac, and any
allowable class notes I may have provided. I stamp each of these, place
them into a folder, and they havce access to this resources folder for
each sac period, but it is returned to me daily. This is to emphasize to
them the importance of their textbook work (hence the summaries), and of
the practice sac. I insist that the final 5 minutes of every period is
spent on their progress diary as a part of the PM management. This I
'claim to' read each evening to keep them on their toes.
For security they are provided with a new logon, no internet access, no
access to their normal files or swap folders etc. They are not to bring
into the room any electronic device (or give it to me for the period)
such as storage devices, communication devices etc. If a student
legitimately misses a period he/she has to make it up during one of
their spares when I am available to supervise. This can be a drag!
Keith