[Year 12 IPM] - Macro to Print a worksheet in Excel

Meadows, Roslyn M Meadows.Roslyn.M at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Jul 19 20:43:56 EST 2005

Sorry folks - Just wondering if this (pay slips) was a "real world" example of how to use macros in Excel?
Does "real world" matter?
Oh well - here's my 2 bob's worth anyway! - from the perspective of an employer who has to actually do the Pay Slips every week.

Most businesses these days use MYOB or Quickbooks, or the freely available e-Record from the ATO. All automatically do calculations of PAYG tax, superannuation etc once you input the employee name and gross weekly, fortnightly or monthly salary, or hours worked. (And of course once you have these details in then the following weeks it is so much easier as it is all still there, you just change the date and hours worked)

QuickBooks and MYOB also allow you to easily see how much superannuation per employee at the end of the 3 month period so you can pay it into their super fund, and how much PAYG Tax to pay to ATO every month (or 3 months for smaller businesses) Having to do the pays for our restaurant each week I would be lost without Quickbooks, and would say that anyone with more than 2 or 3 employees should have at least e-Record (which also allows businesses to submit BAS and PAYG Statements online, and prints out your group certificates - now called Payment Summaries - at the end of the financial year.)

As an owner of two businesses we have been inundated with information from the ATO on the e-Record software and ECI (electronic submission of BAS, PAYG etc) over the last 12 months, so any person in business should know about its existence. And it is free.

Of course on the other hand there are probably many businesses who still do their pays with a calculator, and hand write out a pay slip on the forms from the Newsagent, but I would consider for most businesses one of the major reasons for buying their first computer would be to keep their business records, and a purchase of Quickbooks or MYOB would be included.

Setting up all of the above in Excel with associated macros seems a little unrealistic - especially considering the figures (Gross, Nett, Super paid) would still need to be put into your business software anyway so the accountant and ATO have all the relevant figures for P/L and Balance sheets etc.

Now if only there was some software that would count out the money and put it in an envelope with the Pay Slip!!!

See - I said it was only 2 bob's worth! :-)

Cheers

Ros Meadows
Bentleigh SC
9579 1044
meadows.roslyn.m at edumail.vic.gov.au

"Furious activity is no substitute for understanding." H. H. Williams