[Year 12 IPM] OT: Data/Power Management Systems in school PC labs

kgration at myrtlefordsc.vic.edu.au kgration at myrtlefordsc.vic.edu.au
Thu Dec 22 07:22:47 EST 2005

Hello fellow list members,

I naturally understand that responses to this message will be limited due to timing of the post, but I would find any feedback valuable at this stage.

During the holidays we are relocating our computer labs and neccessarily having the new rooms wired up with power and data points as required.

Our cabler (Nilsen) has recommended the use of moduline wall ducting, carrying both power and data points to all PCs, printers etc.

At this stage, I have envisaged that the ducting would be 10-15 cm above the height of the bench tops. I can see the benefits of doing this will be: (1) cost effectiveness, (2) OH&S - no dangling cables, (3) ease of management

At a previous school of mine (with a new network installation) the data points were above the bench top and power was provided below the benchtop - rather than both being provided above the benchtop as we are looking at for the holiday job.

What I am wondering is (1) are there any Australian Standard/DE&T specs governing/suggesting that workstation power must be below the benchtop, and (2) how many school PC labs out there have both power and data outlets above bench top height (and have you had any significant issues because of it)?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated at this late stage. All the best for the Christmas/New Year break.

Cheers,

Kim

---
Kim Gration