[Geography] Understanding Geography

Camille Crizaldo cjcrizaldo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 24 15:12:24 EST 2008

Hi! I'm Camille Crizaldo a 3rd yr. college student at the University Of Santo Tomas, Manila, Philippines. I'm currently taking up Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education, Major in Social Studies.

I want to share a simple reflection with regards to understanding Geography better.

    Geography is a very interesting course, and it's because first you get to know and explore different countries, its cultures, people, land characteristics and the like. Secondly, you'll get to familiarize yourself with regards to the world specifically the Earth. Thirdly, you will surely learn a lot about your environment, the place you're in and the problems our environment is facing. A lot more has to be said or can be connected rather when it comes to Geography, but I will focus on learning about the different countries. Isn't it enjoying and fun to travel around the world? well, that's my dream, and fortunately I got to travel to at least two (2) countries already and it is the country of Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (K.S.A.) and United Arab Emirates (U.A.E.) having been there is not all about fun and enjoying only, having to travel in these countries helped me a lot in my studies especially in my major program.

    I believe that learning is best when you get to experience it, and likewise you can only learn the essence of ones country by living in it. :) And this is already a proven theory, that according to Edgar Dale, he has formulated the Dale's Cone of Experiences, and it states that the higher the students participation or the higher the experience is, the better learning will result. Well i'm not saying that in order for you to deliver perfectly your lessons in Geography is for you to travel your students around the world! No. It is in the way of how you deliver your lessons by means of at least simulations or give activities, show presentations, virtuals, that will somehow lead the students to the real travel. With the technologies today that we have, doing this is easy already, well I think it's still on the teacher's way or method to come up with something that will surely get your students attention and interest.

This is my simple reflection and I hope u enjoyed reading it

Thank you! Have a Nice Day

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops."