[English] Suggestions for Year 11 Drama Text

inhouse inhouse at mira.net
Mon Sep 1 21:25:57 EST 2014

Karen

I only am part of this forum through somehow contributing something a way back perhaps related to English rather than education.  But your list covers at least five of my suggestions.  But are the year 11s open to examining how the protagonists overcame their environment?  Your list (and mine) includes Three Sisters,  The Homecoming and A Doll’s House. My list would also have included The Taming of the Shrew (until Shakespeare was disbanded) as my “take” on Katherina (Kate) was that she may have just been “tamed” as part of her strategy.  Whilst misogyny may be strongly evident in the original Shakespeare and the Cole Porter adaption, my conception of Kate is that she has not been tamed but can and will ultimately be in control through some strength.

I think that one must define strength, you have suggested A Streetcar Named Desire,  and Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? All strong but negative in the end?

Sorry but happy to have the teachers correct me on this.

Regards

Cheryl