[English] Does anyone know of English teachers still doing classroom teaching at AGE 70?!!!!!!!

inhouse inhouse at mira.net
Sat May 3 11:55:24 EST 2014

Hi Jill

I’m not sure how or why I am on this list but probably because some time ago I did contribute something worthwhile (as a non-English teacher) to the discussion.  I am not sure how old you are, but I would like to answer your question in this way:

1.      Yes I think that your profession and any other profession can be continued until you are 70.  Your question in the subject line was just that little bit disingenuous.  There are many teachers of many disciplines who do continue to contribute something to education, and society in general, way past the present retirement age.

2.      Your comment about the superannuation situation is valid, though teachers are not the only ones who work long hours for modest pay and on retirement (at whatever age) supplement their pension and/or super with other income.

3.      As I said, not sure how far away you are from age 70 or 67 for that matter AND the changes to the retirement age will be implemented over the next 20 years or so.  But perhaps as you get closer to retirement and you remain in good condition mentally and physically, you may just be please to continue in something you love: imparting knowledge to students.

4.      Note: this is not a new item of news, raising the retirement age has been mooted for years now.

Just out of interest, my husband who just turned 73 was happy to work in his chosen field until he was 71, topping up his superannuation – only retired completely because the structure of the organisation changed radically.  And despite being almost 66 years of age, I am still topping up our self-funded retirement income running a small home-based business and I don’t intended giving that up until I am carted out. We can always learn something new.  Hopefully, we will not need to access the OAP but the option is always there even if it IS only to help with the vet’s bills!!

Regards

187084211 at 15102012-1A96Cheryl Pisterman
In-(my)-House Publishing

PO Box 599, Hawthorn BC 3122
m:    0419 757866
p:    61 3 9819 1861