[English] expected qualities

rdf4 at bigpond.com rdf4 at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 18 15:12:18 EST 2012

Hi Julie....

Maybe if we look at a sample topic:

‘Carver’s characters in Will you Please Be Quiet, Please? seem trapped in ways they can’t fully understand.’ Discuss.

Wonder how a high performing student in exploring the complexity of this topic could wander off. Everything in it is specific to the text. If they did begin to roam into irrelevancies they would have to be marked down...

Any idea on what constitutes an appropriate strategy?  or even better, an inappropriate one?

The descriptor seems (one can’t be sure) to suggest that drawing on elements of the text to support an argument is an appropriate strategy... but isn't that the only one?

Or am I off the boil here?

Any more assessors out there with a clue?

Russell