[English] Context excursion

Reynolds, Gail G reynolds.gail.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Feb 22 19:51:20 EST 2012

Today we took our students to the NGV to explore the Imaginative Landscape and it was so good that I just thought I would give them a plug. We had a lecture followed by an hour + of floor talk and activities guided by NGV education staff

 Both my Year 12 classes were thoroughly engaged and left the NGV still talking about what they had seen.  The presenter I was with, Susie May, had the students exploring metaphor and simile and writing poetry on the spot and she had them building descriptive vocabulary as they explored the art works. Even my weakest students were able to join in and produce some creditable responses.  The second group ran well over time without even a murmur of protest... in fact they didn't seem to want to stop. Students in our other two classes also seemed very enthusiastic and so did their teachers.

I know the NGV does the other Contexts too.

just a thought,

Gail

PS We had 80 students and we had to split them into 4 groups so we sent those not doing the floor talk off into the city to photograph aspects of landscape, which they will share as writing starters.  In these days of phones with cameras it is easy!