[English] Twitter Sonnets

Jackson Bates bates.j at wcc.vic.edu.au
Wed Apr 18 09:46:03 EST 2012

Hi all,

Before you start clicking any of the links please be aware that you may see bad language. If this is likely to cause offence, don't click :)

In short: Some guy wrote a computer program that reads Tweets scanning them for iambic pentameter. When it finds a line that scans, it pairs it with another like it that rhymes and then retweets the couplet. This leads to an ongoing 'sonnet' (Not really a by the books sonnet of course, more like a Browning dramatic monologue...but you get the point!)

Because it's a computer program it occasionally gets it wrong - but I read it last night and it was lovely. It makes the truly mundane appear heroic and profound. I for one have been inspired to write all of my reports and essay feedback from now on in couplets of rhyming iambic pentameter...

The twitter stream: http://twitter.com/#!/pentametron
The MeFi post about it: http://www.metafilter.com/114145/With-algorithms-subtle-and-discrete-I-seek-iambic-writings-to-retweet
The Mefi Projects from the creator:  http://projects.metafilter.com/3515/With-algorithms-subtle-and-discrete-I-seek-iambic-writings-to-retweet

Once the iambs get into your speech
You'll end up speaking with them for a week

Jackson Bates
Waverley Christian College
Coordinator of Learning Technologies
VCE English | VCE IT Applications

Blog: http://mrjbates.wordpress.com<http://mrjbates.wordpress.com/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jacksonbates

[WCCSIG]

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately and notify the system administrator on srvadm at wcc.vic.edu.au.
WARNING: Although the college has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the college cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.