[English] anyone up for helping place a well written piece?

Jenny Gilbert nenifoofer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:21:22 EST 2011

Hi

We completed some benchmarking today and I kept many of these Context
comments in mind - thankyou. It did help make the task easier and more
focussed.  I do have one piece though that is a bit sticky and am wondering
if anyone cares to have a read. Without giving too much away it is
1. on Encountering Conflict
2. text was Paradise Road
3. Prompt is from 2009 exam
The students response is very well written - but it consists of two well
crafted vignettes which to me did not meet the task of one extended piece of
writing. There is an explanation of a link between the two which I
personally did not find obvious in the writing itself.  Without an
explanation - for me at least - they appear quite unrelated as there does
not seem to be a context for them to operate together.
 One of our staff - a lit teacher - felt that the 'diptych' approach was
fine and it was very 'post modern' as a piece of writing - I am not so
convinced, but I am also not a literature trained teacher.
 However, this student can clearly pen a good narrative. Aside from advising
this student to develop just one piece in the exam I would like to give
credit where credit is due on this piece so...would anyone care to advise on
where they would place it against the SAC assessment criteria? If so please
email me and I will send you a scan. nenifoofer at gmail.com

Thanks

Jenny Gilbert

English Coordinator, St Joseph's College Mildura
Blog
Wiki
Diigo
Jens PLN at Live Binders