[English] suggestions needed for context teaching

Reynolds, Gail G reynolds.gail.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Sun Jun 12 14:21:38 EST 2011

HI Jenny,

I think it helps to think of those descriptions as an opening out of what can be done rather than a prescription for what must be done. I challenge you to nominate any piece of writing that cannot be fitted to one of the modes or a hybrid of these.  I did this exercise with my staff and we couldn't find anything which could not be seen as fitting; because of this, we have somewhat ( but not completely) de-emphasised the categories and have increased focus on ways of producing "good" writing.

Note that in the exam the students are not allowed to nominate any style and in fact last time I marked this section, we were told  to disregard any Explanations which might accompany the Context.  This in effect means that the only place the students need to be able to identify how their piece fits into the nominated formats is in their SACs in their "explanation of authorial choices". Our Y12 teachers agreed that we were doing holistic marking and as we marked the SACs we would place the emphasis of our marking on the actual piece of writing more than the Explanation (although we still took this into account).  I personally would not overly-penalise students who mix up the various categories, especially in view of the contradictory information which the students may be accessing.  It is interesting that my best students can all provide an excellent Explanation and those who mix up the information sit in the mid to lower range in any case... ( I may be bad, but I do not lose too much sleep over this)

One of our major difficulties with this section is that the Design itself is unclear as to the task and our approach is always going to be like juggling jelly... you have to find your own way to succeed and some of it will end up on the floor. I do understand the feelings of the teacher who wants something to cling to -- in its first year everyone was playing safe and Assessors had SOOOOO many boring formulaic expository pieces to mark. I also know that variety and freshness and engagement with the writing are things the Assessors look for. I am afraid we have to lead our staff and our students into more open fields when it comes to this section... and it 'aint easy!'

The awful how much text question -- answer: between one word and all of it. I have seen excellent pieces which have used a text as a springboard to dive into new ideas -- for example a student who used the film Witness as the basis, writing about the Amish practice of Rumspinga.  There is a clear relationship to the film, a sound platform for discussing Identity and Belonging and scope to incorporate the prompt, but it did not draw directly upon the text. On the other hand there is an occasionally successful strategy which views the plot of a text through the eyes of another character (so this one is nearly all text).  The thing to remember is that this is not a text response (50% text is likely to be way over the top in an expository for example). We don't need mention of the text every paragraph or use a formulaic  paragraph about the student's experience followed by a paragraph about the text (few writers are able to make this interesting and engaging) I try to get my students to think about the big ideas, how do we explore these, what  will capture the young writers' imaginations/ interest the potential audience?

As for your staff member, I wish you luck (she says, her mind crowded with bitter memories).  One of the text books has an excellent section on hybrid writing (It is on my desk at school and I can't remember which one off hand, but I'll let you know if I remember) you could try giving that to the teacher  concerned. For the students at her mercy, how about offering the whole 12 Eng cohort an afternoon of Context-focused writing workshop with the English teachers in attendance (Is there a local writer you could get to facilitate the workshop? Mildura is a relatively big place, there has to be someone who would do it ... or someone prepared to come in  from elsewhere. VATE may have some ideas for people to approach???) This one has the value of acting as PD for your staff without singling out or confronting ... and it could bring new ideas for everyone.

I don't have many more suggestions and believe me, I can empathise with your predicament. I am not sure that I ever completely succeeded with my guy, but I tried to give oblique gentle shoves and increased exposure to a range of sample responses/sample lessons (Could you do this in an English faculty meeting?)  I have just had a meeting with my staff where I asked everyone to bring a sample writing lesson. It was actually a lot of fun and some of that will translate into teaching our Context...

(Hope I haven't done that grandma and egg sucking thing..)

Gail Reynolds

English and Literacy Co-ordinator

Box Hill High School

9877 1177