[English] Reframing the English study design?

Reynolds, Gail G reynolds.gail.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Feb 15 23:10:07 EST 2011

Janny I was not at the Assessors meeting so I am not quite clear, was that three paragraphs on the visuals? I didn't mark last year's paper, but have marked for fifteen or so years prior to that. The instructions on the paper (as I am sure you know) require students to analyse written and visual language.  Saying how much (or little) they should write really depends on the paper and the way the individual student approaches it.

As with every year there was the unexpected, in 2010 there were two quite separate graphics (the heading plus the other one)  I can see that three paragraphs would probably have been excessive, especially if done at the expense of dealing with the passage,  BUT I  think there is a real danger in quantifying length when the demand of the task is to analyse. Advice not to spend a long time on the graphics in isolation from the text seems like good advice, but a blanket do not spend long on the visual material seems less useful.  Good students can weave the graphics into their analysis comparing and contrasting the way the graphics augment the message of the written word and exploring the difference in impact of the visuals and the written material. (A possible approach not a mandatory one!!!)

I confess that I am also worried by any advice that offers a formula for the opening paragraph.  My experience suggests that there are many many successful ways to frame the analysis, from no introduction at all (which I personally prefer to the formulaic waffle)  through to the framing of the background before beginning the analysis itself. We have always been trained to accept the value of the various methods, looking to reward what is there, not penalise what is not. Long experience, and my knowledge of the executive, mean that I do not believe that advice has changed!

I am one who will speak out if I believe there is cause for concern, but in this case I think the message you have taken away from the Meet the Assessors is the result of one person's expression of their observations and understanding of the process.  Remember that all papers are marked by a minimum of 6 Assessors all of whom have undertaken specific and very effective training in order to mark the paper accurately.  Subverting (reframing) the Design is unlikely in the culture of lively discussion which is a necessary to achieve the consensus marking English demands. There are a lot of strong voices and sound knowledge of the Design in a room full of 250 or more assessors.

Gail