[English] support for yr 7-10 program

Kathy Skidmore skidmore.kathy.l at edumail.vic.gov.au
Tue Feb 15 08:09:24 EST 2011

Hi, Jenny,
The underlying philosophy is an understanding we all reached through
meetings and the actual process of looking at/combing through the VELS
document. We don¹t give grades in our reports, just S/N and of course the
standard in the relevant VELS levels. Staff work out their own rubrics, but
share frequently. S/N/ is for the amount of work/fulfilling the stated
outcomes of the units ­ the VELS grades report on the standard achieved
within those outcomes. Thus, someone with a ŒLOW¹ VELS level can still get
an ³S² as we see it. We place great store on reporting on work habits,
effort and improvements shown to supplement that.
We have a slightly different situation here in that we teach vertical units
rather than at horizontal year levels, so everyone is doing different
content at different times ­ hence the need for people to do their own
thing. However, we archive all the work on our intranet page to share. Most
of us work out of the same office, so sharing happens quite naturally in
that way, too.
Cheers,
Kathy