[English] sound recordings on ABC Radio

Debbie de Laps, Executive Officer ddelaps at vate.org.au
Tue Nov 16 11:12:59 EST 2010

Hello all

The following email has come through from ABC Radio National. You are
invited to reply directly to Georgia if you are interested in her proposal.

Kind regards

Debbie

Debbie de Laps
Executive Officer
The Victorian Association for the Teaching of English
Office 1, 134-136 Cambridge St
Collingwood  3066
Tel: 9411 8500  Fax: 9411 8511
www.vate.org.au

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Georgia Symons, and I am writing to you from the Radio Arts
department within ABC Radio National. At the moment, our department is
looking closely at ways in which we can better service the needs of
educational institutions throughout Australia through our program output. We
would like to inform you of one idea in particular, and hear any thoughts
your members have on the proposal.

Currently, ABC Radio National has a daily book reading and a weekly play.
The book readings are 13 minutes long and topped and tailed with music. They
are a straight reading of a pre-existing book, without any sound effects or
other auditory additions. Due to the nature of the format, we often have to
abridge the books, but we always do this with the utmost care, ensuring that
the main plot and essence of the book are preserved.

 The plays are of 50 minutes duration and repeated once during the week ­ so
two broadcasts.

Recently, we have been thinking about making the book readings and plays
that are syllabus texts available online, and we are placing the focus on
books and plays that are on one or more senior English syllabus in states
around Australia. The episodes would be made available free of charge and
with no special access requirements, other than access to the internet.

We would love to hear whether or not you would find this helpful. If so, how
would you use it in your teaching? And if not, then why? And do you have any
requests or ideas for similar resources? If you have a newsletter, we would
be very thankful if you included this letter in full or edited form in the
newsletter, or you may find it easier to circulate the letter to your
members via email. If you would like us to write a shorter blurb to put in a
newsletter, on a website or anywhere else, please don¹t hesitate to contact
me.

Please direct all responses to this letter to symons.georgia at abc.net.au or
messariti.anna at abc.net.au. Many thanks for your time.

Yours truly,

   <http://www.abc.net.au/>      Georgia Symons
 Production Assistant, Radio National Arts Department