[English] are we simply too busy to be using this list for networking?

Jenny Gilbert nenifoofer at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:46:20 EST 2010

Hello everyone

I am really beginning to wonder about the usefulness of this list as a tool
for resourcing and networking. Are we using other resources such as blogs,
nings, twitter etc??? Is an email list too 'old hat'?  I have been on this
list for sometime. Rarely do I get an email that is raising something for
discussion, sharing a resource or anything that contributes to networking in
a forum such as this. In fact since May the only thing arriving here has
appeared to be advertising for other professional networks and their
conferences and it seems we get these passed on by several people. I don't
mind this but I really had hoped that I would see more networking for VCE
English teachers on this list - Am I missing something somewhere perhaps? Is
there a better place where there is lively networking going on? I know there
are loads of places for networking if I want to know about MOODLe or IWB's
of language arts/English in general . I am able to get lots of this through
twitter, ning networks, other educational sites - but to find a place that
is focussed on VCE English is proving to be very elusive.

Here is a sampling of things that come to mind that might engage some
interest-

So...how are we travelling? Is there anyone here doing Encountering
Conflict? Found any great resources on the Rugmaker? Being from country
Victoria we could not get to Melbourne events and could not afford to have
speakers come to us - so we have had to rely on the more broadly available
material on asylum seekers and Najaf's webpage...is there more we could have
used? Has anyone got suggestions/ideas for Paradise Road that we can look
into as preparation for next year? Is  there someone on the list embarking
on a new VCE text for next year wishing to network with others doing the
same text?

Got any great classroom activities that have worked for you that you would
like to share?

I have been developing a wiki of resources - not the best resource in the
world but my students have found it useful in doing their research for
supplementary material for their course. I would be glad of some feedback.

I have also just embarked on constructing my work within the Moodle CMS.
Anyone else using MOODLE? Got any tips or suggestions?

Has anyone got a magic wand to solve the problem of students not completing
formative classwork activities and leaving it all for only those things that
are assessed?

Who- like me - is struggling to manage correction, leadership of a large
faculty and well trying not to forget I also have a private life there
somewhere?

How is benchmarking/crossmarking managed in your school?

Well - I guess you get the idea...I did pass on the recent email requesting
ideas for the Malouf text to a Lit teacher - Hopefully she will know
something and I can share.

Cheers...

Jenny Gilbert

English Coordinator, St Joseph's College Mildura

 <http://msgsresources.wikispaces.com/> Wiki

 <http://www.diigo.com/user/nenifoofer> Diigo

Jens  <http://livebinders.com/edit?id=6500> PLN at Live Binders

Twitter - @nenifoofer