[English] Re: [Oz-teachers] TARGET: Advertisements using popular songs

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Sep 5 04:13:57 EST 2009

> On 04/09/2009, at 6:51 PM, Barbara writes:
>
> > I have a number of great suggestions for popular songs accompanying
> > advertisements and I shall publish a hit when I have collated them.
> > But I would love some more! barbara.288 at bigpond.com

And, any government school can use pop-songs extensively for education ..

Further the people at the Australian Performing Rights Association (APRA)
are genuinly fair folk, and if you want to go even further than the broad
allowances already provided for schools to use pop songs, they'll arrange
a fair & reasonable deal on the phone for wide ranging music needs indeed.

 http://www.apra-amcos.com.au/musicconsumers.aspx

Australian copyright law makes music creators the exclusive owners of
their original music and lyrics. Nobody else can use their work without
getting their permission first and, if necessary, paying a royalty for
this use.

APRA|AMCOS makes this easy. We represent most music creators across
Australasia and, by agreement, most music creators around the world. We
license the use of their music, collect royalties for that use and
distribute royalty payments to the owners of the works that were
performed or broadcast.

Our licences are practical, cost-efficient and easy to administer. Call
us now on 1300 852 388 and get music in your business.

http://www.apra-amcos.com.au/MusicConsumers/MusicinBusiness/Schools.aspx

Schools

Government schools

All government schools are automatically covered under agreements with
the Department of Education in their State or Territory.

Non-Government schools

Non-government schools should check with their peak organisation to make
sure that they have the appropriate licence coverage for their schools’
needs (eg the Association of Independent Schools, Catholic Education
Offices and Commissions etc. in your State or Territory).

Licensed schools are permitted to do the following:

•Photocopy print music

Allows your school to make a limited number of copies of the print music
that it owns, for educational purposes. All music copied under the
agreement must be stamped “AMCOS LICENSED COPY”.

•Record or copy music and sound recordings

◦make recordings of AMCOS musical works and ARIA sound recordings to be
distributed to students for educational purposes.

◦recover the cost of blank tape or CD.

◦make audio and video recordings either of live performances on school
premises, or copy existing sound recordings of music, for educational
purposes.

◦synchronise music and sound recordings to film, eg, making of student
films. These films may only be shown on school premises to members of the
school community. Films made for film festivals or to be screened
elsewhere require separate licensing or permissions. Note: this does NOT
cover the use of Production Music in films or audiovisual recordings.

APRA|AMCOS offers special Production Music licence rates to warranted
educational institutions. Contact our Production Music Department at  for
a copy of the rates and the warranty that must be completed prior to
obtaining the educational licence.

◦authorise parents of students from licensed schools to make video
recordings of their children’s performances, for example, at a school
concert – for domestic viewing only.

•Perform music outside of the class

Covers the majority of school performances and includes the playing of
sound recordings (which are separately protected by copyright). Examples
of performances that are covered include: concerts by pupils on the
school premises; choir, band, and orchestra concerts; parades; playing
CDs or tapes during or outside school hours; the playing of music in
television and radio programmes; school socials, discos and dances; and
aerobics sessions held at the school. Read more about what’s allowed
under these licences in Music Copyright for Schools.

Other Licences Schools may need

•A separate licence may be needed where music is used in performances
that occur outside school premises and where admission fees are charged.
Contact  for more information – see Box Office/Ticketed Event.

•Performances by secondary students of musical works in a dramatic
context, where admission is charged and the performance is advertised
outside the school. A separate licence would be required for this use -
see Music in Theatre.

•Performance of a large choral work of over 20 minutes in duration. See
Music in Theatre.

•All or part of any music or lyrics composed for a ballet if the
performance includes a visual representation of the ballet. See Music in
Theatre.

•Performances by professional musicians whether or not admission is
charged.

•Performances of a Grand Right Work, such as a musical. See Music in
Theatre.

•Making arrangements of copyright music: you will need to contact the
publisher directly. Download our School’s Publisher Request Form.

•Use of radio, tape, CD or pre-recorded messages and music via a
telecommunication system to callers on hold. Annual fees vary according
to the number of external telephone lines. See Music on Hold.

•Eisteddfods – the Eisteddfod organiser needs to take outapply for the
licence. See Eisteddfods.

APRA|AMCOS information guides that schools may find useful

•Music Copyright for Schools.

•Practical Guide to the use of Print Music

•Music Copyright for Churches

•Music Copyright for Eisteddfods

Further information, Email us. General information about copyright can be
obtain from the Australian Copyright Council.

--

Cheers Barbara
Stephen Loosley