[English] Year 12 ESL English

Reynolds, Gail G reynolds.gail.g at edumail.vic.gov.au
Mon Nov 30 16:33:34 EST 2009

Rebecca is not the only one teaching Poe to ESL!

The 2010 list is terrible for ESL -- especially for our large cohort of Chinese students who do not respond well to texts which contain swearing or other things they find morally questionable (which automatically excludes texts like Cosi). Other issues include texts which depend on a recognition of Australian/European cultural references (such as Bypass .. which in any case seems to me to lack the  depth which will promote complex responses ) Some other selections from the text list are really heavy going (both context and vocab) for the ESLs -- Shakespeare???

On the up side there are some excellent web resources for Poe many of which will aid the ESL student. Once the POe stories are unpacked for the students, they represent the kinds of stories which bear a similarity to the oral traditions of many of our students.  We agonised over our list and I read all the texts again in my quest for something "good". I would be really interested to know what others have chosen for ESL ... and why.
Gail