[English] Re: digital publishing

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu May 21 22:17:37 EST 2009

Helen kindly writes,

> Thanks for bringing this interesting article to our attention.
> I actually wonder how this will work, on an international level.

Ta Helen, and do agree Scribd.com does deserve interest .. it's popular
as a source for free e-reading materials. Might guess any paid-for text
may initially be US only. Ah well. A great idea, and product-motivation
for would-be writers, certainly.

And there's always excellent free top quality digital reading available.

As one exmple .. Project Gutenberg Australia .. http://gutenberg.net.au

"The free ebooks or etexts may be read on a computer using a simple text
editor, or viewer. The books are in the 'public domain' in Australia and
all have been prepared by volunteers. Read about ebook readers, and ways
to read the free ebooks available from this site .."

FREE E-BOOKS  .. SPECIAL INTEREST

* Bestsellers. A list of the top ten bestselling books in both fiction
and non-fiction categories for the years 1923 through 1953. Many are
available from this site as free ebooks and links are provided. Read a
bestselling book today!
* The Western World's Classics. More than 500 world 'classics', most of
which are available as free ebooks.
* Cookery and Home Science. Free ebooks on cooking the old-fashioned way.

And here's a snip from "B" at http://gutenberg.net.au/plusfifty-a-m.html

Louisa BALDWIN (1845-1925)
Collected Stories --Text--HTML

E J BANFIELD (1852-1923)
Last Leaves from Dunk Island --Text--ZIP
The Confessions of a Beachcomber--at Freeread
My Tropic Isle--at Freeread
Tropic Days--at Freeread

Sir Joseph BANKS (1743-1820)
The Endeavour Journal of Sir Joseph Banks --Text--ZIP--HTML

Kendall BANNING (1879-1944)
Mother Goose Rhymes (1929)--HTML

Richard BARHAM (1788-1845)
Collected Stories--Text--ZIP--HTML (these stories are included in The
Ingoldsby Legends, below)
The Ingoldsby Legends--Text--ZIP

J. M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
Peter Pan or The Boy Who Would Not Grow Up (The Play) (first performed
1904)--HTML--ZIPPED HTML
Peter Pan (The Book) (1911)--Text--ZIP--HTML [Illustrations by F D
(Francis Donkin) Bedford (1864-1954) and Alice B Woodward (1862-1951)--
see inside html file for details.]

George BARRINGTON (1755-1804)
A Voyage to Botany Bay--Text--ZIP--HTML
A Sequel to A Voyage to Botany Bay--Text--ZIP--HTML

George Burnett BARTON (1836-1901)
The Troubles Of Australian Federation--Text--ZIP--HTML

Thomas BASTARD (fl. 1881)
The Autobiography of Cockney Tom--Text--ZIP--HTML

Daisy BATES (1863-1951)

The Passing of the Aborigines (1938)--Text--ZIP

J S (James Sykes) BATTYE (1871-1954)
Western Australia: a History from its Discovery to the Inauguration of
the Commonwealth Text--ZIP--HTML

Charles Pierre BAUDELAIRE (1821-1867)
The Generous Gambler--Text--ZIP--HTML

L Frank BAUM (1856-1919)
The Tiger's Eye--Text--HTML
The Enchanted Buffalo--Text--ZIP--HTML

Barbara BAYNTON (1857-1929)
Bush Studies (1902)--Text--ZIP
Human Toll--Text--ZIP--HTML

Louis BECKE (1855-1913)
By Reef and Palm and Other Stories--from Freeread
Short Stories--Text--ZIP
By Rock and Pool on an Austral Shore and other stories--from Freeread
The Naval Pioneers of Australia--from Freeread
Pacific Tales (1897)--Text--ZIP--HTML
The Mutineer: A Romance of Pitcairn Island--Text--ZIP--HTML
Access other titles from the Louis Becke page

> I have tried to order digital publications from Amazon (in the U.S.A.)
> but in many cases this was not possible (i.e. it was not possible to
> send a digital publication to an international address). As far as I
> know, this may be due to (national) copyright restrictions - not in
> the country of origin of the publication, but in the country where
> the publication was being sent.  Can anyone enlighten us?

Yes e-book enlightenment .. anyone across non-free e-book literature?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/18/technology/start-ups/18download.html?em

> > SAN FRANCISCO. Scribd, an Internet start-up here, will introduce on
> > Monday a way for anyone to upload a document to the Web, and charge
> > for it.
> >
> > http://www.scribd.com
> >
> > The Scribd Web site is the most popular of several document-sharing
> > sites that take a YouTube-like approach, to text, letting people
> > upload sample chapters of books, whole research reports, homework,
> > recipes and the like.
> >
> > Users can read documents on the site, embed them in other sites and
> > share links over social networks and e-mail..
> >
> > The independent publishers Lonely Planet, O'Reilly Media and Berrett-
> > Koehler will add their entire catalogs.
> >
> > The Scribd store will also give unpublished authors, or authors who
> > are in a hurry, a well-trafficked Web forum on which to post their
> > books, charge for them and see immediate results.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Stephen

Cheers, Helen
Stephen Loosley