[English] Re: Top 10 book lists

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 13 18:47:36 EST 2009

Hi Ruth and all,

Thanks for this post Ruth and all whom responded. Here's another (albiet
US) best-selling book list, published weekly, and so perhaps of interest:

 http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/books/bestseller/bestchildren.html

The New York Times Best Seller Lists.

Children's Books:

Published: May 8, 2009

PICTURE BOOKS

Number This Week  (and, 'Weeks on List' number at the end of each entry)

1 LISTEN TO THE WIND: THE STORY OF DR. GREG AND "THREE CUPS OF TEA", by
Greg Mortenson and Susan L. Roth. (Dial, $16.99.) A school grows in
Pakistan. (Ages 4 to 8) 15

2 THE CURIOUS GARDEN, written and illustrated by Peter Brown. (Little,
Brown, $16.99.) A boy named Liam nurtures a straggly garden to vivid
fruition. (Ages 4 to 8) 3

3 EXPLORER EXTRAORDINAIRE!, by Jane O''Connor. Illustrated by Robin
Preiss Glasser.. (HarperCollins, $12.99.) Fancy Nancy meets the outdoors
in the finest tradition of the great explorers. (Ages 4 to 7) 1

4 GALLOP!, written and illustrated by Rufus Butler Seder. (Workman,
$12.95.) Animals seem to move when you flip the page. (Ages 4 to 8) 77

5 THE VERY HUNGRY CATERPILLAR, written and illustrated by Eric Carle.
(Philomel, $29.99.) Still hungry after 40 years. A pop-up book. (Ages 3
and up) 7

6 LLAMA LLAMA MISSES MAMA, written and illustrated by Anna Dewdney.
(Viking, $16.99.) A little creature goes to preschool. (Ages 2 and up) 1

7 LADYBUG GIRL AND BUMBLEBEE BOY, by David Soman and Jacky Davis.
Illustrated by David Soman. (Dial, $16.99.) A dynamic duo’s play date.
(Ages 3 to 5) 9

8 SWING!, written and illustrated by Rufus Butler Seder. (Workman,
$12.95.) Children seem to move when you flip the page. (Ages 4 to 8) 29

9 TEN LITTLE FINGERS AND TEN LITTLE TOES, by Mem Fox. Illustrated by
Helen Oxenbury. (Harcourt, $16.) A celebration of fingers, toes and love.
(Ages 4 to 8) 18

10 CAT, by Matthew Van Fleet. Photographed by Brian Stanton.
(Wiseman/Simon & Schuster, $16.99.) All kinds of cats, in motion and
rhyme. (Ages 2 and up) 12

CHAPTER BOOKS

1 THE AWAKENING, by Kelley Armstrong. (HarperCollins, $17.99.) A
genetically altered, ghost-seeing girl juggles a complicated set of
adolescent trials. (Ages 12 and up) 1

2 TWILIGHT: DIRECTOR’S NOTEBOOK, by Catherine Hardwicke. (Little, Brown,
$17.99.) The making of "Twilight," the movie. (Ages 9 to 12) 7

3 MILES TO GO, by Miley Cyrus. (Disney-Hyperion, $24.95.) The life of
Miley Cyrus. (Ages 9 to 12) 9

4 THIRTEEN REASONS WHY, by Jay Asher. (Razorbill, $16.99.) Before
committing suicide a girl records and sends explanatory audiotapes to 13
people. (Ages 14 and up) 28

5 THE GRAVEYARD BOOK, by Neil Gaiman. Illustrated by Dave McKean.
(HarperCollins, $17.99.) To avoid a killer a boy takes up residence in a
cemetery. First Chapter (Ages 10 and up) 31

6 BLOODHOUND, by Tamora Pierce. (Random House, $18.99.) The further
adventures of Beka Cooper, who develops her "terrier nature" in a more
sensitive direction in this police procedural. (Ages 12 and up) 3

7 THE HUNGER GAMES, by Suzanne Collins. (Scholastic, $17.99.) In a
dystopian future, a girl fights for survival on live TV. (Ages 12 up) 34

8 IF I STAY, by Gayle Forman. (Dutton, $16.99.) A young cellist falls
into a coma after an accident. (Ages 14 and up) 3

9 SCAT, by Carl Hiaasen. (Random House, $16.99.) An eco-mystery, with a
dismal swamp and a wild characters who are not always what they seem.
First Chapter (Ages 9 to 12) 12

10 BASEBALL GREAT, by Tim Green. (HarperCollins, $16.99.) Two friends, a
reporter and an athlete, are digging in the dugout for clues in
this “tween thriller.” (Ages 8 to 12) 5

PAPERBACK BOOKS

1 EVERMORE, by Alyson Noël. (St. Martin’s Griffin, $9.95.) Immortals in
school. (Ages 12 and up) 13

2 THREE CUPS OF TEA: YOUNG READERS EDITION, by Greg Mortenson and David
Oliver Relin. (Puffin, $8.99.) A former climber builds schools in
Pakistani and Afghan villages. (Ages 9 to 12) 15

3 THE BOOK THIEF, by Markus Zusak. (Knopf, $11.99.) A girl saves books
from Nazi burning and shares them with a Jewish man in hiding. First
Chapter (Ages 14 and up) 86

4 THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS, by John Boyne. (Random House, $8.99.) A
boy’s innocence is eroded in evil times. (Ages 12 and up) 26

5 THE ABSOLUTELY TRUE DIARY OF A PART-TIME INDIAN, by Sherman Alexie.
Illustrated by Ellen Forney. (Little, Brown, $8.99.) A young boy leaves
his reservation for an all-white school. (Ages 12 and up) 6

6 GLASS, by Ellen Hopkins. (Simon Pulse, $9.99.) An addiction novel in
verse. (Ages 14 and up) 4

7 TWEAK, by Nic Sheff. (Atheneum, $9.99.) The addiction memoir of
the “Beautiful Boy.” (Ages 14 and up) 14

8 JUST LISTEN, by Sarah Dessen. (Speak, $8.99.) A girl finally deals with
the incident that divided her and her former best friend. (Ages 12 and
up) 26

9 THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY, by Trenton Lee Stewart. Illustrated by
Carson Ellis. (Megan Tingley/Little, Brown, $6.99.) Gifted kids on a
mission. (Ages 9 to 12) 37

10 THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY AND THE PERILOUS JOURNEY, by Trenton
Lee Stewart. Illustrated by Diana Sudyka. (Megan Tingley/Little, Brown,
$6.99.) An evil twin makes mischief. (Ages 9 to 12) 1

SERIES BOOKS

1 THE TWILIGHT SAGA, by Stephenie Meyer. (Megan Tingley/Little, Brown,
hardcover and paper) Vampires and werewolves in school. (Ages 12 and up)
91

2 DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, written and illustrated by Jeff Kinney. (Abrams,
hardcover only) The travails of adolescence, in cartoons. (Ages 9 to 12)
16

3 HOUSE OF NIGHT, by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast. (St. Martin’s, hardcover
and paper) Vampires in school. (Ages 14 and up) 36

4 PERCY JACKSON & THE OLYMPIANS, by Rick Riordan. (Disney-Hyperion,
hardcover and paper) Battling mythological monsters. (Ages 9 to 12) 95

5 THE MORTAL INSTRUMENTS, by Cassandra Clare. (McElderry/Simon &
Schuster, hardcover and paper) A world of demons and warriors. (Ages 14
and up) 6

6 WARRIORS, by Erin Hunter. (HarperCollins, hardcover and paper) Four
clans of cat warriors aspire to meet up with the StarClan. (Ages 10 to
14) 70

7 NIGHT WORLD, by L. J. Smith. (Simon Pulse, paper only) Supernatural
races form secret societies. (Ages 14 and up) 21

8 WICKED LOVELY, by Melissa Marr. (Bowen Press/HarperCollins hardcover,
HarperTeen paper) A mortal becomes a fairy queen. (Ages 12 and up) 2

9 MAXIMUM RIDE, by James Patterson. (Little, Brown, hardcover and paper)
Winged children try to save the world. (Ages 10 and up) 52

10 THE 39 CLUES, by various authors. (Scholastic, hardcover only) A
brother and sister travel the world in search of the key to their
family’s power. (Ages 9 to 12) 8

Cheers,
Stephen

> Hi
>
> I think most people replied to (the list) but just in case you are
> interested some wonderful, helpful people suggested these sites as
> a starting point for finding YA top 10 fiction
>

> Nielson books
> http://www.nielsenbookscan.com.au/controller.php?page=108
>
> Readings
> http://www.readings.com.au/kids
>
> Inside a dog
> http://www.insideadog.com.au/
>
> Another suggestion was to use your own system to generate a report of
> the top 10 in your own school.
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied.
>
> Ruth Grace
>
> Teacher Librarian K - 12

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server