[English] RE: Subsidised trip to Asia_Survey

Caruso, Greta Caruso.G at kingswoodcollege.vic.edu.au
Mon May 11 11:55:46 EST 2009

Hi Jill,

I completed the survey, then realised that I missed the date. I think I have met you before. I am on VATE council and currently VATE Treasurer, as well as being the English coordinator for Kingswood College.

I have organised my own study tours of Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam, Cuba, Mexico, and China myself. I have done this because I have looked at the price of official educational study tours and been horrified. I can do it all for a lot cheaper. I don't know why your costs are so high. I know I have relaxed standards, but any trip that is on offer, I can usually do myself for about ½ the cost

My last trip was to Vietnam and I talked my way into an international school, a government school in Saigon, a teachers college in Danang and a kindergarten in the north. I have been on an official study tour only once and felt I was getting a very sanitised view with lots of official presentations of gifts and special functions and lunches, all of which were a great honour, but did not teach me much. Of all the places I have been, Cuba was the most interesting, and even though the reputation was that official government sanctions were absolutely necessary, it was actually phenomenally easy to get into schools and do a bit of guest teaching. I know Cuba is not in asia of course, but some of the ideas about education in third world countries were really worth sharing. Indeed, I discussed many of the things that I had seen in Cuba and Mexico with teachers I met in asian schools.

The other thing that many people (Especially but not exclusively English teachers) are interested in is following a trek that is drawn from a text. In teaching "The Things They Carried" and "The Lake in the Woods" lost of teachers became interested in going to some of the places and hearing the stories connected to those books. Likewise "Sky Burial" had been really popular and running a trip, or part of a trip based on some focussed teaching might be a good idea. "Growing up Asian in Australia" has just been put on the VCAA Year 12 list and I think you could organise a fabulous study trip around that. There are plenty of teachers who are not only teaching that text but who had the experience of growing up asian in Australia themselves. My friend Genevieve Montiero from Ashwood High in Melbourne grew up on Goa, I have often talked with her about having a trip to India where she talks about what it was like to come to Australia as a young woman and all of the conflicts that she had to deal with. One of my personal plans is to have her take me to her home so I can see the other side of her life. I think lots of teachers would love that personal touch and connection. I don't know if an organised a trip over the Christmas break for teachers who are thinking of teaching the Alice Pung book would really work, but it is a bit of a different line on things.

One of the things that I want to see and I know many of my friends are keen to learn about is the teachers conditions. I know the AEF is not a recruitment agency for Australian teachers who are interested in working on other countries, but many people want to get a view of what it is to actually front up and work in a school in Hong Kong for example. I know a number of people who have flown to China to do 4 weeks work on ESL, just to get a sense of the place.