[English] Fwd: Free mind mapping software

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sat Mar 7 13:57:34 EST 2009

> From:   Jonathan NALDER <jnald2 at eq.edu.au>
> To Professional community for teachers <oz-teachers at rite.ed.qut.edu.au>
> Date:   Sat, 07 Mar 2009 11:52:47 +1000
> Subject:   Re: [Oz-teachers] Free Mind mapping software.

Hi Chris, I must say I concur with much of what (oz-teachers) have
already advised - just wanted to add my own thoughts as I've recently
done a review of a few mindmapping options as part of an article for
PAYME. Here's just a summary of my conclusions below, (from my blog here)

http://ulearning.edublogs.org/2009/02/09/digital-mindmapping-tools-my-
choices-for-connected-visual-organiserspresenting/

An even more recent find that I'm now using as it does have many more
visual options is www.lovelycharts.com .

I’ve had loads of fun lately I must admit just trying out mindmapping/
visual organiser software. So much so that I’ve started incorportating
them into my workflows both at school and home/study, and have even
written a 2000 word article describing my journey. While its under review
for possible publication old-printed-style, I wanted to at least post my
conclusions/choices here. That way you can cut right to the chase and
start downloading!

I’ve grouped my findings under ‘for students’, ‘for educators’, and ‘for
advanced users’. Enjoy:

I aim in this section to overview what I concluded was best for use in my
school, using these handles:

•                Free, or at least has a free ‘lite’ version
•                Easy to access, use and install - conditions that are
                 vital for time poor, technician-starved teachers
•                A good import/export capability - after all the point
                 was to share maps

For Students - while today’s students undoubtedly could master any of the
software I encountered, the one I ultimately settled on for working with
them was the simplest. Bubbl.us (also its web address) was suggested by a
discussion list colleague. It creates basic but good-looking maps, allows
links and attachments, but best of all, is available anywhere there is a
net connection (works exclusively online) and requires no registration or
setup - teachers can just send students to the webpage and off they go.
Students can get on with learning. Your maps can even be embedded into
other websites. (Please note that bubbl.us does have a quick email signup
to enable a few more advanced features if you so wish).

For Teachers - using digital visual organisers for your own planning and
teaching probably requires software that will work when offline also - so
for this category the one I chose was the free version of Xmind. Still
fully-featured (it was a paid version until recently), it really jumped
ahead of the others I was considering due to the fact that it works on
PCs and Macs, AND has a special version for running exclusively from USB
flash drives. I’ve now gone on to use this with our Head of Curriculum
and Admin team to demonstrate what’s possible - and they were impressed,
not just with the flash-looking end product, but with how powerful it
could be for giving presentations to staff.

For advanced Users: That covers software for students, and for
teachers/administrators who are new to digital mind mapping. However,
beyond these tools there are some even more capable options that also
plug into the possibilities of Web2.0 and the power of online/offline
syncing. In this category, recommended for ‘power users’, or just any
user that can count on regular internet connections and doesn’t mind
registering for the (free) service - my choice was ‘Mindomo’. This was
one that had been suggested through my learning network and I immediately
found it very impressive. Not only was its import/export and graphical
options very well presented, but it has a stunning ability work offline
(using the Adobe ‘Air’ plug-in) while allowing you to use its extra
sharing and collaboration features when you are online. Kind of like a
combination of bubbl.us and Xmind actually!