[English] A question of style in text responses

Jenny Gilbert nenifoofer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:47:28 EST 2009

I am looking for some feedback or discussion on the issue of using 'we' and
'our' in analytical text responses. The reason I am asking is that I come
from that background where you respond strictly in the third person, never
making I statements, never using 'you' and I would not be refering to 'we'
or 'our' either. However I have noticed in some publications there are
sample essays that do use the 'we' and 'our' reference in the discussion
when referencing how the audience responds to or is challenged by the text.

Now some say that is just inappropriate for an essay that should be entirely
in the third person voice. Others argue the 'we' or 'our' is being used to
invite the reader (in this case the marker of the text response) into the
discussion as a member of the audience of the text being discussed - or so
it seems and it is a legitimate and recognised persuasive device where the
writer is establishing support for a contention in response to a prompt it
is reasonable.

I would like to quote some exact examples but the books are at work - I am
at home - off the top of my head a what I am talking about looks something
like this:

Throughout the text (Inheritance) we are invited by Rayson to consider the
not so pleasant aspects of our history through characters such as Nugget.

vs

Throughout the text (Inheritance) audiences are invited by Rayson to
consider the not so pleasant aspects of Australian history through
characters such as Nugget.

I find this personalises the response and I personally don't wish to
encourage students to write like this. It is hard though when some of those
publications they reach for do use this kind of language.

So...the question..is such a use of language acceptable or to be
discouraged? And if I am to stronly discourage it what arguments do I put
forth to do so?

--
Jen Gilbert English Teacher
Aka ‘nenifoofer’