[English] Issues '09

Jenny Gilbert nenifoofer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 22:34:36 EST 2009

I was wondering though about this years 'Using Language to Persuade' SAC.
>  What issues are you looking at to use?  or are you getting the students to
> choose?  If anyone else out there has any ideas please let me know.
>
> Cheers Sophie

Hi Sophie - we choose for amalysis - they choose for the oral persuasive
piece. At this stage we may well stick to coverage of the fires - lots of
letters and smaller pieces make good practice material and there are issues
within it. However we would really like to see something a little more - I
don't know what the word is - challenging in language of persuasion? Less
repetitive of the same appeals and emotions? something more
sophisticated...gritty? Last year we did the sorry speech - it worked really
well. There was a lot of sophistication in language and clearly opposing
views.

We have a good local issue - flouride for the water - but not a lot of good
material to use. For us the drought is always relevant too. Again - not
much being said about that or the murray darling basin for that matter. The
economic rescue package provided me with a great straight forward Knight
cartoon (Kev's Insulation) but the callibre of student knowledge on world
economics made it hard for many to get below the surface humour.

We wait - in the meantime we are working with articles on the fires from The
Age which seems to be treating it as more of an issue for consideration than
an outpouring of emotion. Hopefully something will come up.

--
Jen Gilbert English Teacher
Aka ‘nenifoofer’

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/#/profile.php?id=634989807