[English] A School ISP Update

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Feb 25 14:11:26 EST 2009

Hi all,

Here's an update from a major School's Internet Provider. As it happens
it's for Victorian schools but does apply widely and may be of interest:

> From:   vicone-school at lists.netspace.net.au
> Date:   Wed, 25 Feb 2009 12:55:41 +1100
> Subject:   [Vicone-school] February Update

February Update Hi All,

Traffic:

Term 1 is well under way, and we have already seen marked increase in
usage, the peak throughput to VicSmart schools is more than 50% greater
than in February 2008.

As the current rounds of bandwidth upgrades proceeds we expect that
schools will download greater volumes than at any time in 2008.

Again we encourage to diligently monitor your traffic .. (the tools)
will give you a overall picture of your daily downloads through any
calendar month. Please ensure you are viewing your downloads at least
twice a week, although daily would be preferable. The more attention you
pay to monitoring your usage the less likely you are to receive an
unpleasant surprise in the form of large excess charges.

You also have access to the DEECD supplied Broadband Portal which shows
you the traffic across your school VicSmart router. The traffic recorded
here should always be equal to or greater than the traffic shown in our
Permstats report. This is because the Broadband Portal will also record
traffic from VicSmart resources such as EduMail and HRMS which are
carried over the VicSmart network and are not seen by your ISP.

Again we encourage you to monitor your downloads and move onto monthly
plans that best reflect your usage with a view of controlling your costs.

For those schools that move onto our bandwidth plans monitoring becomes
tied to managing performance rather than costs. I can’t stress enough the
need for you to make sure that you are on a monthly plan that saves you
the most money..

Trends:

It is hard to project where the usage trends will lead. Looking at past
trends doesn't guarantee what's going to happen in the future, and
shifting term breaks does skew what happens from year-to-year.

Having said that, from what occurred in past years one could reasonably
expect the following to obtain:

Term 1: February and April are usually heavier months than March - this
is mainly due to the Easter break. That being so then this year should
buck the trend. March will be a heavy month but April should have less
traffic due to the school holidays (including Easter).

Term 2: May is usually a big month, June is slightly lower and July lower
still. July is still usually busier than any month in Term 1.

Term 3: Traditionally August is the busiest month of the year.  In the
past three years we have found that September has a dip in usage (half
the month is taken up in school holidays but usage is usually more than
half of August).

Term 4:  In many past years October would be slightly busier than
September but then usage would tail off to the end of the year. This
trend seems to have been somewhat reversed. November is the busiest of
the months at the end of the year, almost as busy as August.

Global Filtering vs Custom Filtering:

If you are pointing at acs.vicone.netspace.net.au as your upstream proxy
then you can set custom or local blocks and allows to various websites as
you see fit.

If you are pointing at filter.vicone.netspace.net.au as your upstream
proxy then you are dependent upon us for the additional blocking or
allowing of discrete websites. If we block a site for you then we are
blocking it for everyone that uses  filter.vicone.netspace.net.au.  If we
allow a website for you then we are allowing it for everyone that uses
filter.vicone.netspace.net.au.

Over the past few months we have received many, many requests from
schools wishing us to globally unblock wetpaint.com

We have not done so and nor will we do so in the foreseeable future. This
site contains conduits to completely unsuitable material. As a school,
you can choose to make available this site and any sub-sites for your own
school or other schools. That is your choice and you take on the
responsibility for any material to which your students are then exposed.

I hope that this explains why those schools that ask for this site to be
made available globally are continually refused.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

All the best,

Mike D'Monte
mike.dmonte at staff.netspace.net.au

--