[English] Context

Ross, Simon D ross.simon.d at edumail.vic.gov.au
Fri Feb 20 12:55:53 EST 2009

My concerns still remain. How can you assess a range of different forms of writing using the same Expected Qualities?

·            writing a range of responses including narrative, analytical and persuasive texts, or an extended piece that combines several of these text types in a hybrid form, like the combination of letters, first and third person narrative, and research paper in Enduring Love

I also fear that we are in danger of removing the detailed study of the workings and ideas of any given text from our teaching. I don't think the prompt was applicable to 'The Shark Net' in the Whose Reality? context question on the exam. But if I tell my students to write a memoir on a time in their own lives when they evaded reality but had to face the consequence of doing so, then surely that student has used the ideas (style) generated by the text to frame a piece of writing?

I didn't mark Section B, but so often I heard tea-room chat that went 'Great piece of writing, but WHERE is the text'? Again, those age-old concerns of how much text, how to incorporate it, what ideas to use & what to exclude & how to be sure the two markers will get it resurface? I've never found a definitive answer. Bob Hillman continues to push his triumverant of TEXT-PROMPT-WRITING. I'd add a fourth - CONTEXT. The kids are like jugglers. They have to keep those four eggs in the air & they're not sure if Text or Prompt are already cracked.

Also, the Exec again restated the possibility of the Prompt being a visual stimulus. Now that would certainly put the fox in the henhouse & cause a few cracked eggs.

Simon Ross
BHSSC