[English] RE: english Digest, Vol 33, Issue 8

McClenaghan, Douglas J mcclenaghan.douglas.j at edumail.vic.gov.au
Thu Feb 19 08:30:24 EST 2009

Hi Simon

I reckon that the Richard essays would be better because of the cohort and that could well be enhanced by good topics. We did Generals and only one of the topics was accessible. In the heated environment of the exam if a topic seems intractable many kids will fret, but if the topic is comfortable they're more likely to relax and feel confident. My memory tells me that I read fewer of those essays where a kid is just putting stuff down in the hope that some of it hits the mark, when I was reading the Look Both Ways and Lake essays. Even the mediocre ones had a sense of what the topic was asking, even if they just ended up being descriptive. Other topics had kids struggling to work out what the hell the topic was about.

Cheers
Douglas