[English] Meet the Assessors

Malcolm Martin Malcolm.Martin at wesleycollege.net
Wed Feb 18 15:07:31 EST 2009

Hello Gail,

Thanks for your observations and I'm glad that examiners were sensitive
to the possibility for mis-reading.  I also take on board your point
that these concerns have little impact on student outcomes, but teachers
and students don't know that that is the case.

Could I ask you about how you felt about the point about the
variability in the Context Questions?  The question for Whose Reality?
seemed to be more complex than the other three and didn't allow equal
access for all the listed texts.

Your point about discrepancy is a good one.  Do you have any idea as to
the extent of scripts that were discrepant?

Yours sincerely,
Malcolm

Yours sincerely,
>>> reynolds.gail.g at edumail.vic.gov.au 18/02/2009 12:17:57 pm >>>
I wasn't at the meet the assessor's meeting but I would like to put my
two cent's worth into this discussion.

First, it seems to me that the discussion is centred around some
specifics which do not form key strategies in the marking of the actual
paper, but which have been highlighted out of proportion with their
importance.  Yes, there were a number of students who did not understand
the donkey reference, but in the scheme of things this did not impact
disasterously on their overall marks.  The mantra for the marking is
"reward what is there, do not penalise what is not"  Students will have
gained fewer marks for ignoring the cartoon completely, but those who
made a sincere attempt were rewarded for what they did do, regardless of
their degree of recognition of the donkey. I thought the students
generally handled this graphic well and most were able to make
meaningful connections with a range of aspects of the visual.

Secondly from my observation, students handled that Look Both Ways
question well, without showing signs of asking the questions which have
been raised in this discussion. (Surely the important thing is the
questions the students ask?)  The question actually directed students'
thoughts toward the obvious connection between the cartoon
representations and Meryl's thoughts and also the connections between
Nick's flashbacks and his experiences and the question appears to have
empowered the students to focus on the film techniques and the way they
added to our understanding. I would further add that the Assessors are
able to make the connections to the question without the cumbersome "and
so the visual imagery is very helpful in communicating her state of
mind" being a useful inclusion -- in fact only the plodding students
would find this kind of statement necessary.

We are lucky in English as each paper is, at a minimum, double marked
with a question possibly marked up to 5 times to avoid mishaps.
Discrepancy is low.  There are lots of things to dislike about the
process (the statistical fiddling for example) but this angst is not
something I would be sharing at this point.

Gail R