[English] Meet the Assessors

James Craig craig.james.r at edumail.vic.gov.au
Wed Feb 18 10:12:15 EST 2009

Very interesting thoughts Peter ... my two cents worth, tho' I'm not
sure if I'm responding to your exact concerns ...

I think meeting the assessors is a very useful.   Ultimately the exam
is going to have to rank, discriminate or differentiate between the
40,000 odd candidates, and give them a number at then end.  Knowledge
of that process, or how the VCAA Study Designs/Assessment guides are
interpreted by the marking and exam setting panels can only be
useful.  I might not like it, but I'll try and understand to give my
students the best advice I can.

On form, perhaps I'm a bit much of a pragmatist.  I'll agree that the
question does raise issues tho'.  In the study design we are asked to
consider the"the understanding of the ideas, characters and themes
constructed by the author and presented in the set text" and
"structures, features and conventions used by authors to construct
meaning across a range of texts".  I would imagine this implicit in
the exam criteria. So far so good, but no word about balance or
methodology ...

However, in terms of differentiation of candidates,  I would presume
it be a 'good' question, as the cognitive manipulation of concepts
such  form and text that the question hints at would separate the
students very well.  The top range students would accomplish that task
and write something 'surprising' or 'brilliant', if the examples of
previous years on the VCAA website are any guide.  Our 50s would do
that through their knowledge, savvy and  ability to think and write
beyond the careful response. Can we ever teach those skills? The
middle range would do something, well, middle. In the end, the student
would receive a fair grade, when their papers are compared to the
papers of their peers.

So ... am I an apologist for the VCAA? ... I'm not sure ... some more
questions ...  off beam?

Is it ever possible to fully advise our more methodical students on
how to handle these questions?

Is it the job of an assessment panel to keep the exam evolving, to
avoid a rote response to questions?

Is another one of our jobs to teach students how to recognize an
overly curly question?

Cheers!

James Craig