[English] Making movies

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Sun Feb 15 02:43:17 EST 2009

'Apple Recasts iMovie With Improved Features' DAVID POGUE www.nytimes.com

I've always been an iMovie nut. This humble video-editing program from
Apple, in its way, launched my entire career of making weekly goofball
tech videos. For three years, I made them all by myself, on the cheap,
with a camcorder and iMovie. Then, in 2007, CNBC offered to film and edit
them for me. And put the results on TV. And pay me. I know - life's tough.

No wonder, then, that I was so aghast when Apple replaced my beloved
iMovie with something called iMovie '08. As I wrote in my review: "It's
nothing like its predecessor and contains none of the same code or
design. It's incapable of the more sophisticated editing that the old
iMovie made so enjoyable.

"You can't manually adjust audio levels during a scene (for example, to
make the music quieter when someone is speaking). You can't extract the
audio from a clip. All the old audio effects are gone, too. No pitch
changing, high-pass and low-pass filters, or reverb.

"The new iMovie doesn't accept plug-ins, either. You can't add chapter
markers for use in iDVD, which is supposed to be integrated with iMovie.
Bookmarks are gone. 'Themes' are gone. All visual effects are gone--even
basic options like slow motion, reverse motion, fast motion, and black-
and-white. Incredibly, the new iMovie can't even convert older iMovie
projects. All you can import is the clips themselves. None of your
transitions, titles, credits, music, or special effects are preserved."

And so on.

Apple has spent the last year licking its wounds and propping up this
iMovie impostor. The new version, iMovie '09, is far more usable.

If you're scoring at home, here are the features that have been restored:
themes, extracting audio, chapter markers, direct export to iDVD, visual
effects (including slo-mo, reverse motion, black-and-white and more).

Here's what's still missing: plug-ins, audio effects, manual audio
adjustments, bookmarks, importing old iMovie projects without losing all
your enhancements.

That tally isn't exactly fair, however, because it doesn't consider all
the things the new iMovie does that the old one couldn't. For example,
its various skimming and scene-grabbing tools make it very quick to
excerpt the best parts of your raw footage, and you never wait for
anything to "render" in iMovie '09; any effect, transition, color
adjustment or title you apply takes effect instantly.

A new pop-up menu appears when you drag one clip onto another one,
offering options like Cutaway, Insert, Audio Only, Picture in Picture and
Green Screen--by far the simplest presentation of these advanced features
you'll see in a video editor. There are a handful of nice-looking,
canned "themes" that let you open and close your movie with pro-looking
graphics, and an excellent map feature that draws an animated line to
show the course of your travels (à la Indiana Jones).

There's a wicked-cool feature that lets you tap along to music--every
beat, or at any spastic intervals you want--and then drop video clips
onto those markers, so that the video cuts happen right in time to the
music (or to your taps). Fast and easy.

The killer app, though, is image stabilization. It takes a long time to
apply to a clip--several minutes each--but it winds up making jerky
footage smooth, even if you were filming while hiccuping on a camel ride
during an earthquake. You control the degree of smoothness; that's lucky,
since 100 percent steady looks almost freakishly unnatural.

This feature works fantastically well--so much, in fact, that it's ruined
everyone else's videos for me. Now, every time I see a handheld camera
shot--on YouTube, on the news, in a documentary, I struggle to suppress
the instinct to mentally apply iMovie stabilization to it. I just can't
overstate what a revelation this feature is--and how much more watchable
your home movies become.

The new iMovie offers so many satisfying time-savers that I would embrace
it wholeheartedly, if it weren't still missing one critical option.

See, the world is moving to hi-def camcorders. And iMovie '09 works great
with hi-def camcorders. But what if you want to show your edited movie on
a high-definition TV?

You can't!

You can upload it to YouTube (at diminished quality), export it to a DVD
(at diminished quality), or send it to your Apple TV, iPhone or iPod (at
diminished quality).

In the days of olde iMovie, you could export the results back to your
tape camcorder. You'd preserve 100 percent quality, you'd free up the
space on your hard drive, ready for the next editing project, and you'd
have a simple way to play the movies on your HDTV.

Apple, however, is convinced that tape camcorders are dead, and it seems
determined to pound nails into that coffin. The company expects you to
store all of your video, now and forever, on hard drives. (The 100 MiniDV
tapes currently in my cabinet, for example, would require about 1.5
terabytes of hard drive space--double that if I want a backup.)

No Macs have Blu-ray burners, and iMovie lacks an Export to Tape command,
so your high-def masterpieces are pretty much trapped forever on your
Mac. (Sure, you could post them online, but only if they're short, and
only if everyone in your potential audience has very high-speed Internet.)

Otherwise, if you've been terrified by the quivering disaster that was
iMovie '08, you can come out hiding now; it won't bite. It requires a lot
of relearning, but there's a lot of joy along the way. Especially for the
hard-drive industry.

Visit David Pogue on the Web at www.DavidPogue.com
--

Cheers,
Stephen .. btw .. one video of a smoke-stained and fire-burnt victim, whom

 .. is a video image that will remain with me for the rest of my life ..

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server