[English] International Year of Astronomy (1609-2009)

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Mon Sep 1 00:20:13 EST 2008

Hi all,

Astronomy & you, yes you! :) Have you ever positively seen Venus, Mars &
Mercury in the sky, for yourself? Ok, this week, 'step outside as the sky
darkens and face West = Venus *glows* (and this) chart shows the position
of all 3 planets lined up .. www.paulfloyd.id.au/ (very easy, thanks Paul)

And, think of a better on-going, year-long, school library *celebration*??

 ** 2009 International Year of Astronomy **

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Year_of_Astronomy

"In 1609, Galileo Galilei first turned one of his telescopes to the night
sky and made astounding discoveries that changed mankind’s conception of
the world forever: mountains and craters on the Moon, a plethora of stars
invisible to the naked eye and moons around Jupiter.

Astronomy, the oldest science in history, has played an important role in
most, if not all, cultures over the ages.

The International Year of Astronomy 2009 (IYA2009) is intended to be a
global celebration of astronomy and its contributions to society and
culture, stimulating worldwide interest not only in astronomy, but in
science in general, with a particular emphasis towards young people."

--

And a year-long school-library Astronomy-celebration next year would be a
wonderful and certainly timely cross-curriculum initiative for any school!

Such an event, with various space folios, water-rockets, nasa-photo-of-the
day set as the background on a library monitor or two (right click the jpg)
etc, etc, across subjects & year-long, may well influence an Au generation!

> From:   "Paul Floyd" <p.n.floyd at gmail.com>
> To:   "Professional community for teachers"
>      <oz-teachers at rite.ed.qut.edu.au>
> Date:   Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:51:09 +1000
> Subject:   [Oz-teachers] Venus,

I have put a finder chart on the front page of my website at
www.paulfloyd.id.au which shows the location of the above planets.

If you are covering the 'Earth & Beyond' topic currently, you might want
to send it home with your students so they can look. No binocculars or
telescope are required. Just simply look above the Western horizon as the
sky darkens. Venus will be the first to appear, followed by Mercury and
then (red) Mars.  Regards, Paul Floyd.
--

Cheers Paul
Stephen Loosley

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server