[English] The Australian Youth Forum

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Fri Oct 3 20:10:33 EST 2008

Hi all,

 http://www.youth.gov.au/ayf/

Welcome!

The Hon Kate Ellis MP, Minister for Youth, launched the Australian Youth
Forum (AYF) in Adelaide on 2 October, 2008. The AYF is the Australian
Government's new initiative aimed at engaging young people and the youth
sector in ongoing public discussion and facilitating their input into
policy and decision making on issues that affect their lives.

(and)

The Hon Kate Ellis MP
Minister for Youth

Media Release

http://mediacentre.dewr.gov.au/mediacentre/Ellis/Releases/AustralianYouthFo
rummarksaneweraincommunicationbetweenyouthandGovernment.htm

Australian Youth Forum marks a new era in communication between youth and
Government

The Rudd Government’s launch today (Thursday) of the Australian Youth
Forum (AYF) represents a new era in the way the Australian Government will
engage with young Australians.

"We committed to govern for all Australians - and that means young
Australians too," Ms Ellis said.

"This $8 million initiative will ensure that young people are empowered to
have a strong voice in public discussion, and that Government has a
framework to listen to and act on the issues and concerns of young
Australians."

The AYF will incorporate local public forums for young Australians to
directly engage in debate and offer their perspectives and ideas; an
interactive website with ideas discussion boards and information
exchanges; and a funded national peak body for the youth sector - the
Australian Youth Affairs Coalition (AYAC).

"We know that young people are grappling with all sorts of issues today
which are unlike those faced by previous generations. With the
establishment of the AYF, our Government is giving young people a seat at
the table and new opportunities to get involved in public discussion about
issues that matter to them," Ms Ellis said.

The framework for the AYF has been developed based on the ideas of young
people and representatives of the youth sector during a formal
consultation process undertaken earlier this year. It also honours an
election commitment to fund a national peak body for youth affairs
following its de-funding in 1999 under the previous government.

"Today’s announcement is another way that the Rudd Government is working
to ensure that young Australians are empowered, that they are included,
and that they are well supported by their Government," Ms Ellis said. "I
look forward to engaging with young Australians through the AYF, to
ensuring their perspectives are carefully considered and that they are
well served by our Government."

Ms Ellis was joined at the launch in Adelaide by the 11 members of a Youth
Engagement Steering Committee that will guide the work and future
activities of the Forum and advise the Government about the best ways of
involving young people who face obstacles to participation. All members of
the committee are aged between 16 and 24 years.
--

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley