[English] Re: VIT - a personal explanation

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed May 28 00:45:52 EST 2008

Terry kindly writes:

> I am a member of the Council of the Victorian Institute of Teaching ..
> Pleased by some of its achievements to date, have concerns about others.
> So have been following the comments on the Institute on this list with
> interest. review will provide a useful catalyst for more discussion about
> whether teachers want a 'standards' institute, what they want it to do,
> what the legislation allows it to do, and what paying for its existence
> might signify. Regards Terry

May I say .. we need a VIT-like group .. but now that the mechanisms are
in place .. stretch your wings. Tell me, are teachers up on some 'charge'
or whatever the only practising teachers to visit the Institute, because
the hearing rooms aren't in another building? Must be a horrible place to
work, if that's true .. I don't know, thank goodness .. never been there.

But if we need a VIT, let's make it a 21st Century organization. That is,
as friendly, transparent & representative of all stakeholders as possible.

For instance, Roger Clarke (http://www.anu.edu.au/people/Roger.Clarke/)
today writes, "Multi-stakeholder governance is a fresh approach to the
development of public policy, bringing together governments, the private
sector and civil society in partnership.  The movement towards this new
governance paradigm has been most marked in areas involving. networks of
stakeholders, too intricate to be represented by governments alone."

The easiest way to democratize, or 'multi-stakeholder governance' the VIT
is via the Internet .. go web2, give all members a VIT email address, and
conduct very secure membership polls over matters of professional interest.

Be a transparent partnership in governance, by providing all stakeholders
with an electronic voice (web2 website and inhouse email) and set a world
standard for standards institutes!

Cheers, Terry
Stephen Loosley
Victoria, Australia

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server