[English] The Literacy Wars/VIT - a personal explanation

Terry Hayes terryhayes45 at bigpond.com
Tue May 27 08:39:57 EST 2008

Oops, sorry to be airing private correspondence on a public discussion list
but since I have, a couple of clarifying contextual points re my previous
email.

1. I'm one of several reviewers for English in Australia -Scott Bulfin is
the reviews editor- of Ilana Snyder's The Literacy Wars. Worth reading,
especially for those who missed all the flak flying back and forth in The
Australian regarding the teaching of critical literacy and literary theory.
But, as I intimated, for me  book is essentially recording a moment in time
past as the profession moves on to the next 'battleground', the development
of a national English curriculum, without the ideological heat  of a
'cultures/literacy wars' scenario generated by a Coalition government's
interest in education. Julia Gillard has stated several times she will leave
the development of a national curriculum to the experts, not to politicians,
and the development will be based on evidence based research. But which
experts? Which research? Both contested ground.

2. And yes, I am a member of the Council of the Victorian Institute of
Teaching. Have been since its inception. A ministerial appointment because
of the work I'd been doing with the Council of Professional Teaching
Associations of Victoria CPTAV of which VATE is a member. On the MACVIT
Committee which recommended VIT's establishment as well. Pleased by some of
its achievements to date, have concerns about others. So have been following
the comments on the Institute on this list with interest. No doubt the
publication of the review-currently with the Minister- will provide a useful
catalyst for more discussion about whether teachers want a 'standards'
institute, what they want it to do, what the legislation allows it to do,
and what paying for its existence might signify.

Regards

Terry