[English] Re: 2020 Schools Summits

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Tue Mar 4 19:47:05 EST 2008

Hi all,

Regarding the Federal Government's invitation to all Australian schools to
participate in our own '2020 School Summits', Jeananne (a teacher at a Vic
country school) makes much sense. It seems to many that of course Victorian
schools would like to register as participants, and certainly could make a
very valuable contribution, but, the timing is simply too difficult.

We are well aware that some important people department-wise are on this
list, people whom may have influence with their Fed Gov counterparts. How
about seeking a special dispensation for a one, or even better, a two week
extension of time for school our responses?

The School Summits are an excellent, inclusive concept, and may well lead
to some very positive outcomes for the students etc involved, and for Oz.
If we are going to do it, let's do it properly! Would list members agree?

Re 2020 Schools Summits <http://www.australia2020.gov.au/schools/index.cfm>

> Good to see the schools summit mentioned for a variety of reasons but
> the national perspective will be lost.
>
> Victorian schools will have 4 days to do this, as we are on school
> holidays for the 2nd/3rd week!
>
> Frustrating.
>
> We have talked about it at our school and we are hoping to have a burst
> with it but it's quite different being able to run something over the
> full time period - especially with that sense of purpose that comes from
> all doing something at the same time (ie. all Australian schools). What
> we could do over time during 3 school weeks will not be able to be
> transferred into 4 days.
>
> Last week of term sees reports, parent/teacher interviews as well as
> only having 4 days.
>
> Hopefully some of our students will feel individually passionate and
> will send their ideas direct to the website.
>
> cya
>
> Jeananne

Cheers people
Stephen Loosley