[English] Nominations for VATE Council Elections

Scott Bulfin scott.bulfin at education.monash.edu.au
Wed Jun 25 14:10:57 EST 2008

Hi english-listers,

Many of you may know this anyway but I thought I'd pass it on to
those of you may have missed it.

The current VATE Council's term of office is up in September and so
there is a call for nominations from those interested in joining the
next Council. Nominations close 9 July 2008. Nomination form attached.

Some background:

A new Council is elected every 2 years. The upcoming election in
September 2008 is for the period October 2008 – September 2010.
Individual VATE members are eligible to nominate for Council (you can
take out an individual membership if you wish to join Council and are
not already an individual member).

Council meets once per month at the VATE office from 6-8.30 pm.
Council members are also expected to support and participate in a
VATE Committee – Curriculum, Professional Development, Advocacy or
State Conference – most of which also meet once per month.

More information about Committees is available at www.vate.org.au or
by contacting Debbie de Laps by email on ddelaps at vate.org.au or
phone: 9411 8500.

I'd encourage you to get involved - have your say. Professional
associations exist to support members but it's often members to do
the work. So if you are concerned about young people and the quality
of the English and literacy education they receive here in Victoria
and nationally as well as all the complex and interesting issues that
go along with it, it might be time to put your hand up for VATE Council.

  Hope to see you around the Council table come October.

Cheers,
Scott