[English] Re: The Learning Federation

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Thu Jun 12 01:43:03 EST 2008

Hi all,

Thank you Stuart, and Rob, and all who replied, for your thoughts.

Seems to be 'all or nothing' for The Learning Federation. Either it's one
of a few 'ultimate' Aussie school providers of Learning Objects or a white
elephant. Now, I don't know, but even with forthcoming web2 resources (well
done Stuart!) is TLF missing the bus regarding .au ed-resource philosophy?

For example, seven Aussie Universities have announced they are making
learning object-like content available, in normal mp3/mp4 format suitable
for iTunes etc distribution, and any number of universities worlwide are
doing the same. Australian TLF repositories of current and future world
university LOs would be :-) Surely then an ultimate Aussie ed-resource!

Have TLF missed the bus re copywrite concerns, and so not have au-uni LOs?

I don't know, I've only seen the first half dozen TLF LO examples, made
available to the public four years or so ago. Apparently like many others
on this, the main Australian Teacher's emailing list. But, I DO know that
teachers creating their normal day-to-day class curriculum materials most
often make the very best LOs ever, anywhere, for Aussie kids!

If TLF/EdNA does an EduMail/VITTA itapps community thing across all Aussie
schools, and so offers curriculum ed communities (preferably by email) AND
a central gateway to current/world-uni/au-teacher-written Learning Objects
then I believe the TLF would be a world-state-of-the-art gov-ed resource.

Thank you Stuart for your work with the TLF interpreting gov legislation
into a visible and viable (if seldom seen:) national-digital-ed-resource.

Some well-judged further gov legislation might easily make our Aussie TLF
into a world state-of-the-art ed-community and one-stop school LO resource!

The Swinburne University media release this week: "Swinburne is one of
seven universities in Australia and New Zealand to begin using Apple’s
content distribution system, iTunes U on the iTunes Store.

iTunes U is currently used by educational institutions in North America
allowing them to distribute audio and video content for free to students
and the general public. Users can download the content to their Mac or PC,
transfer the information to their iPod or MP3 player and listen to or view
it anytime, anywhere.

Initially, Swinburne’s presence on iTunes U features cutting-edge research
conducted at the university, short films produced by students from
Swinburne’s Film and Television school, previews of stereoscopic 3D movies
produced by the Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing and
introductory lectures in public relations writing ..

The seven Australasian universities now on iTunes U in the iTunes Store
are the Australian National University, Griffith University, Swinburne
University of Technology, University of Melbourne, University of New South
Wales, and the University of Western Australia along with Otago University
in New Zealand.

To visit Swinburne on iTunes U, go to http://podcasts.swin.edu.au/itunesu/
To download the free iTunes software, visit www.apple.com/itunes "
--

Our teaching colleague Rob <Costello.Rob.R at edumail.vic.gov.au> writes,

> I was talking with a professor of education yesterday who wondered if
> they would cull the large number of obvious duds (he thought his uni had
> also paid for access to these)
>
> He wondered, though, if the motive would be to keep them in - since
> large number of learning objects would sound better when presented to
> the funding bodies etc
>
> today, I had to leave a class -  I left them going on with a commercial
> software product, which they love, and which is very successful - as
> discussed on this list - in a way that I don't think I could have done
> with those objects
> (certainly not without some hours filtering through and writing more
> linking curriculum etc)

received in error,
please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using
attachments check them
for viruses and defects. Regardless of any loss, damage or consequence,
whether caused by
the negligence of the sender or not, resulting directly or indirectly from
the use of any
attached files our liability is limited to resupplying any affected
attachments. Any
representations or opinions expressed are those of the individual sender,
and not
necessarily those of the Department of Education and Early Childhood
Development.