[English] Wagner's Mastersinger, Hitler's Siegfried: The Life and Times of Max Lorenz

Gillian Mortimer gmortimer at distance.vic.edu.au
Mon Jul 28 15:21:35 EST 2008

Did anyone tape this program, screened on the ABC on 20 July and
yesterday at 3.55pm?
It was fascinating viewing for those studying Peter Goldsworthy's
'Maestro'.
Lorenz was the most highly regarded Wagnerian tenor in Germany in the
30s & 40s and managed remarkably to survive the war 'under Hitler's
protection' despite being both homosexual and having a Jewish wife. His
wife survived too - lots of parallels with the 'Keller' story as well as
intriguing footage of the opera houses of Germany & Vienna and a lot of
background on Wagnerian opera and the operatic world.

If anyone can loan me a copy I'd be grateful
gmortimer at distance.vic.edu.au
I think that the film would help bring the character and world of
Maestro to life for a lot of students - it's been shown twice and I
can't see a repeat coming up on the ABC website.