[English] legal deposit of websites

stephen at melbpc.org.au stephen at melbpc.org.au
Wed Jan 2 23:46:40 EST 2008

On the OzTeacherLibrarian list and regarding legal deposit of webpages,
Janice Todd writes

> Only in Tasmania it seems:
> http://www.nla.gov.au/padi/topics/67.html#Aus
> Janice Todd  Teacher Education Librarian  UTS

Excellent professional skills, Janice .. "In Tasmania, electronic
publications and web pages are included in the broad definition of
'records' that are required for deposit under Section 22 of the Libraries
Act 1984.  These are stored and made accessible through the State Library
of Tasmania's Our Digital Island website."

<http://odi.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/>

"The State Library of Tasmania is the legal deposit library for the State
and has a legislative and moral responsibility to preserve material
currently published on the World Wide Web. Our collection process is under
constant review, and contributions and input from WWW publishers and
content creators is welcomed."  To suggest a site for archiving:
<http://odi.statelibrary.tas.gov.au/suggest.asp>

Thus it seems clear that legal deposit does apply to Tasmanian .edu and
org etc websites then. And, well and good i say. One would guess we all
know some brilliant school/college/uni and .org etc Australian websites.

Maybe a lawful as well as moral responsibility to deposit your website
Australia wide may be a 'good thing' How long does it take to tell them?

--

Message sent using MelbPC WebMail Server